LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Looking to join the LS4 group!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking to join the LS4 group!

Hey guys I think this is the first time Ive been to this section of the board. I recently sold my 06 GTO. Im looking to get into a good daily that will keep me entertained while I find another 4th gen fbody for a toy. Mainly looking at the Impala SS, I like the styling the best. Seems like the fwd could handle Midwest winters, and not too bad on gas. Heres a few Ive been looking at. Any specific problem areas to look for?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Old 01-17-2012, 03:27 PM
Launching!

Biggest is the trans, they do not seem to last long in these cars. I would get someone to do a TCM tune and work on the shifting of the trans to help prolong the life.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JC05GXP
Biggest is the trans, they do not seem to last long in these cars. I would get someone to do a TCM tune and work on the shifting of the trans to help prolong the life.
Much agreed! Would you consider the shift kit from TEP a smart addition?
Old 01-17-2012, 04:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hazards280
Much agreed! Would you consider the shift kit from TEP a smart addition?
Yes, add a cooler while your at it as well.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the 06 you can use diablo, 07 and up you can only use hp tuners, personally i would pick the grand prix gxp,but thats just me.the pontiac has wider front rims/tires, tapshift, hud, lap timer and transmission temp
Old 01-17-2012, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

mine averages 16 mpg's, and I also hate FWD in the winter. Remember its all about the tires you have for winter driving.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JC05GXP
Thanks all, I was browsing the stickies and threads on the first page. Seems the trans is a popular topic on these. Ill be sure to check trans fluid for burnt fluid or leaks. Sounded like the top mount tears when trans problems begin to appear as well?

Originally Posted by gxp-miller-gxp
the 06 you can use diablo, 07 and up you can only use hp tuners, personally i would pick the grand prix gxp,but thats just me.the pontiac has wider front rims/tires, tapshift, hud, lap timer and transmission temp
If I ever tuned it Id go to Mike Norris local and have him use hptuners software. Its funny I was reading reviews on the impala ss from road and track, motor trend, etc and they were comparing the too. The consensus was the gxp took too the ls4 better due to upgraded shocks wider wheels and tires etc. The tapshift and HUD would be nice as hell to have as well. Ill take a look at a few. I liked the low key styling of the impala, the gxp went the other way. Might be worth the difference though.

Originally Posted by 94ss06gxp
mine averages 16 mpg's, and I also hate FWD in the winter. Remember its all about the tires you have for winter driving.
16?? is that possible, my awd Trailblazer SS would get 15-16? If thats the case Ill get another TBSS ha
Old 01-18-2012, 02:13 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gxp-miller-gxp
You can buy wider rims and tires, not to mention that rotating cannot happen with 2 different sized tires.

Hud can be added for $100 or you can download numerous aps on your smartphone.

Lap timer. Does anyone really give a **** about a lap timer?

You got me on the trans temp, BUT you can still add one for $50.

OP, just make sure you look over the car very carefully before you pull the trigger.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

with the winter driving and gas my last tank I got 15-16mpgs average, Thats 95% city with some country roads.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The impy is a nice looking car,but I would look into a G8 instead. Why not do it right the first time,save you the headache about a trans down the line.But if your set on the Impy,its the better choice of the 4 LS4's models haha!!!
Old 01-18-2012, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1CL3ANSUP3RSPORT
The impy is a nice looking car,but I would look into a G8 instead. Why not do it right the first time,save you the headache about a trans down the line.But if your set on the Impy,its the better choice of the 4 LS4's models haha!!!
I love the G8s, but thats gonna be another car that I baby and hate to drive in winter. Ill want to store it and its rwd. Cost is gonna be higher for a nice one as well. The Impala is something I cant really mod, not much out there for it, wont want to because its fwd, and I wont feel bad driving it all year. Ill just try to minimize corrosion with a power washer for the under body.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:10 PM
Launching!

Now that im on winter gas Im averaging 15.9 miles per gallon....

I should also mention that this is a drop however from a summertime, all time high of 16.4 (i have DoD removed..but still)

Havent had any problems in the snow here in buffalo, and my tires are getting a little low on tread...

My personal advice, stay away from these cars. Get a V6 impala or something of the sort and then you can spend the money saved on stuff for another vehicle
Old 01-18-2012, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Hmm thats crazy 2/2 on horrible gas, curious as to why? My awd TBSS seriously got 15 in winter and it has a significant amount of extra weight, is a brick, and a normal LS2..
Old 01-18-2012, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The trans problems are well-documented, but from a gas mileage point of few, these cars are Jekyll and Hyde. If you can drive at sustained highway speeds without a lot of stop and go, they can return high 20's. If you drive a lot in town, it drops fast.

Our Impala will average 25-26 MPG on our 185 mile daily commute, which includes 30 miles of 4-5% incline up the Grapevine in SoCal. On flatter trips, it will easily get 30+ MPG. Driving in the city, stoplight to stoplight, we get about 13 MPG. Thankfully, we seldom do that.

Our Impala is my wife's daily driver and she loves it. I enjoy driving it, too, as it's seriously fast for what it is, and a lot of fun to drive. All that said, I would never buy one of these cars again. The trans problems are too costly and common to trust the car as a long-term daily driver. We've taken steps to prevent the trans problems from happening again, but not everyone wants to go through that hassle.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jrob56
Hmm thats crazy 2/2 on horrible gas, curious as to why? My awd TBSS seriously got 15 in winter and it has a significant amount of extra weight, is a brick, and a normal LS2..
Our cars get horrible city mileage because the factory equips them with high-stall torque converters to smooth out the DoD transition. If you powerbrake the car, you can usually see a flash stall of 2500-2800 RPMs. This is great for performance but kills city mileage. Once the converter locks at highway speeds and the motor goes into 4-cylinder mode, the mileage shoots up.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the G8s, but thats gonna be another car that I baby and hate to drive in winter. Ill want to store it and its rwd. Cost is gonna be higher for a nice one as well. The Impala is something I cant really mod, not much out there for it, wont want to because its fwd, and I wont feel bad driving it all year. Ill just try to minimize corrosion with a power washer for the under body.
Yeah I hear you on that,I would definitely look into an Impala for a DD.You should debadge the whole car as well,and go for the SSleeper look.White is always a good color,cause when its clean it looks good and when its dirty it still looks clean!
Old 01-18-2012, 05:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
Our cars get horrible city mileage because the factory equips them with high-stall torque converters to smooth out the DoD transition. If you powerbrake the car, you can usually see a flash stall of 2500-2800 RPMs. This is great for performance but kills city mileage. Once the converter locks at highway speeds and the motor goes into 4-cylinder mode, the mileage shoots up.
Ahh thank you sir for that answer. I got a job downtown but can take interstate the whole way except for when I jump off 70 for a few blocks. So sounds like I could get 20 something. Ive been looking at the newer Malibu for gas mileage, but just wouldnt be as fun.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks all, I was browsing the stickies and threads on the first page. Seems the trans is a popular topic on these. Ill be sure to check trans fluid for burnt fluid or leaks. Sounded like the top mount tears when trans problems begin to appear as well?
Good looking trans fluid doesn’t mean much with these trans. There are a few engineering defects that should be addressed. I understand this is a bit much for preventive maintenance but check this out.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-perfo...e-project.html
(I know I keep posting this tread up but anyone thinking of getting a LS4 or anyone with a LS4 should read this)

I liked the low key styling of the impala, the gxp went the other way.
Definitely drive a GXP. They blend in with traffic pretty well. The only people that seem to notice it are the GTP’s.

16?? is that possible, my awd Trailblazer SS would get 15-16? If thats the case Ill get another TBSS ha
Yeah in town mileage is crappy, but if your going to be on the highway you should break into the 20’s.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

I get 22-24 on the highway with DoD gone
Old 01-23-2012, 04:28 AM
Staging Lane

you can buy my 07 gxp lol