LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

What is a resonator delete?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 05:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a resonator delete?

Topic. I see people have done that on here and I was just wondering exacttly what it does. Do it just change sound or help with performance?
Old 02-02-2012, 09:11 AM
Staging Lane

Changes the sound. The resonator is the long " muffler" running down the center of the car.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's that big pipe in the middle of the car. Think of it as a 3rd muffler. It purpose is to quiet down the rasp of the car. Me personally I would just take it off and replace it with a flowmaster super 44 muffler and replace the back mufflers with 2.5 straight pipes.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by SRTH8R
Changes the sound. The resonator is the long " muffler" running down the center of the car.
​​​​​​Actually that's the muffler that's in the center. Most cars like my 11 Dodge Charger runs on a single muffler with dual exhaust or single exhaust. The resonators are located at the rear where the pipe exits are. It looks like a big compartment attached to your tail pipe but removing it only makes your stock muffler loud. Unless you have an aftermarket muffler it's not going to sound that good with just a stock.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rontrell Burton
​​​​​​Actually that's the muffler that's in the center. Most cars like my 11 Dodge Charger runs on a single muffler with dual exhaust or single exhaust. The resonators are located at the rear where the pipe exits are. It looks like a big compartment attached to your tail pipe but removing it only makes your stock muffler loud. Unless you have an aftermarket muffler it's not going to sound that good with just a stock.
Actually, that is a resonator in the center.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

The resonator is in the center of the car. Quiets the exhaust a little and takes out some of the high frequency sounds. Not really any performance gains to be had by removing it.

Quick Reply: What is a resonator delete?