question on water pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question on water pump replacement

i have access to all gm repair records,all data.com etc
however,
the link i found is the water pump manifold replacement.
-its telling me i need to remove the power steering pump, and a whole lot more then what i think is necessary.
-i only ordered the pulley that connects to the blades with the gasket ( from rock auto,the part with the most popular purchased item icon)

can i just simply drain the coolant,remove the belt,replace the pulley,button it all back up and put new dexcool in. or is that not possible?
Old 02-27-2012, 06:38 AM
Teching In

Yes. I didn’t even drain the radiator first. Jack car up, take off passenger wheel (the belt tensioner is down low on passenger side). Remove small plastic splash shield. Use hose clamps to compress the spring on the belt tensioner and remove belt from water pump pulley. Remove passenger side diagonal brace. Loosen fuse box and move aside. Remove battery. I also found I had more room to work when I removed the battery tray (like 4 more bolts no big deal). Remove the bolts to the water pump and break it loose. Anti freeze will run out but I kept mine pretty contained (I only lost like a gallon total). Scrape old gasket off (It is a pain to get off and don’t scratch the mating surface. Install new pump and gasket (It will only fit one way). Torque to spec (I can the torque specs tonight when I get home). Re-install everything you took off.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Honestly waterpump Was The easiest thing iv replaced . Pretty self explanatory besides haven little to no space.

Quick Reply: question on water pump replacement