LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

trans bit the dust today

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans bit the dust today

yep, shes a goner. now the only decision i have is to load it full of lucas and trade it, possibly taking a hit. or get a TEP. and sink 3k into it and hope my wife doesnt divorce me over it......help.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get rid of it. No sense on dumping any more money into it. They aren't reliable at all
Old 05-16-2012, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The trans is the only issue that will really strand you anywhere. Sure, there's the struts, waterpump and electrical stuff, but if you get a TEP trans, the car will be as reliable as anything else out there.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:13 AM
TECH Addict

get a GTO
Old 05-17-2012, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
The trans is the only issue that will really strand you anywhere. Sure, there's the struts, waterpump and electrical stuff, but if you get a TEP trans, the car will be as reliable as anything else out there.
Quoted for truth
Old 05-18-2012, 06:51 AM
On The Tree

In my case Im going TEP transmission as I purchased this car knowing I will build the trans, and I also feel I want to keep it around well past its normal life.
Let TEP build the transmission, Im local to Morad's and they have some wicked L67 cars running these 4t65e trannys. I know a few of there employees have or I thought used to have a couple 11 second daily drivers. So I figure I should call them and find out who they have build there tranny since they obviously know what there doing in the front wheel drive GM scene.

They said TEP TEP TEP TEP TEP TEP TEP TEP TEP TEP TEP TEP TEP TEP TEP lol....

I bought my wife a 06 Monte SS black on black 67K on it and it has the dreaded rev clunk from a stop or very slow roll. I have only felt this three times since owning it so Im going to roll the dice and drive it till its toasted. Or the other side of me wants to grab all of the parts from TEP and just build it my self with the old man. Been through many T-56's and turbo 350, 700R, 4L60e so Im thinking of trying it out myself on building.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

Just make sure you look around for some shops are you that will actually let you bring in your own parts. Thats the part im having trouble with now
Old 05-19-2012, 07:18 PM
TECH Regular

I sometimes ask myself why some of you (let me stress some) are even on this forum, when you seem to hate your car. The first time there is a problem, you resort to get a GTO or wtf else.

You got your GTO, Camaro, Charger or G8 and now the car you drove and liked in the past is now useless in your eyes.

I have owned two of them and never had a problem with my transmission. I realize that is just luck as the transmissions in these cars are very prone to going out.

Take what you will from this. /rant

Last edited by hazards280; 05-19-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hazards280
I sometimes ask myself why some of you (let me stress some) are even on this forum, when you seem to hate your car. The first time there is a problem, you resort to get a GTO or wtf else.

You got our GTO, Camaro, Charger or G8 and now the car you drove and liked in the past is now useless in your eyes.

I have owned two of them and never had a problem with my transmission. I realize that is just luck as the transmissions in these cars are very prone to going out.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That would be coop your speaking of hazard....coop you bought a mopar bro move on. You bring nothing to the forum any more but the typical..."get rid of it, buy something else" If I wanted to hear someone bash my car I will go to a hemi forum.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by baltsk8er69
That would be coop your speaking of hazard....coop you bought a mopar bro move on. You bring nothing to the forum any more but the typical..."get rid of it, buy something else" If I wanted to hear someone bash my car I will go to a hemi forum.
He asked a question so I gave him an opinion. That's what you do when you ask a PUBLIC forum am I right? I have as much right as anyone else to be on this site. If you don't like what I post that's cool, but don't come at me because I gave him my opinion. If I remember correctly it was another poster that told him to get a GTO, but I don't see you saying anything to him. And as long as I had my charger, I have yet to encounter any problem. I've also ran into many people that once had a Grand Prix GXP or an Impala SS and they actually traded it an bought a mopar btw. Anything else my man?

Last edited by SSCoop; 05-20-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:24 AM
TECH Addict

Old 05-20-2012, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was able to do all the TEP upgades (Sure Cure kit, New 3 year warranty converter, upgraded input shaft, shift kit) for well under 3K. I pulled the trans myself, purchased all the parts from Dave at TEP. Then I found a local reputable shop that was familiar with the 4T65E-HD and all of its issues. Out the door I spent a total of $2100.00.

You will LOSE $2100.00 trading in your car on a new/used one....EASY. So either take it up the *** now, or spread out over 5 years....you choose.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Andrew91PGT
I was able to do all the TEP upgades (Sure Cure kit, New 3 year warranty converter, upgraded input shaft, shift kit) for well under 3K. I pulled the trans myself, purchased all the parts from Dave at TEP. Then I found a local reputable shop that was familiar with the 4T65E-HD and all of its issues. Out the door I spent a total of $2100.00.

You will LOSE $2100.00 trading in your car on a new/used one....EASY. So either take it up the *** now, or spread out over 5 years....you choose.
I couldnt agree more. Its either now or later.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hazards280
i sometimes ask myself why some of you (let me stress some) are even on this forum, when you seem to hate your car. The first time there is a problem, you resort to get a gto or wtf else.

You got your gto, camaro, charger or g8 and now the car you drove and liked in the past is now useless in your eyes.

this is the truth. After my trans went bad a tep upgrade after labor and all was somewhere around 2300. Since then no issues. Every car has it's problems, ls4 engines kick ***
Old 05-22-2012, 08:32 PM
Teching In

Trans going to the shop next week for repair. I'm probably going to sell it and get a car to haul my family around in, and then go back to my first engine inspired love, a Harley. I will add that all the "post LS4 bashing" is just retarded. I love my car, and after the trans is repaired I will still love it, but my kids are young and I really just need to get something different. I will always be an LS4 car fan, and I won't bash them post-ownership like some people do. Its purely asinine to think that way. You were frustrated with your car and bought something else....so move the eff on. This may be a public forum, but it really isnt any place to go on here and bash what the forum topic is about. You bought a mopar. Go to the mopar forums and stay there. The owners of these cars don't need the negativity here anymore. They want to be proud of their cars, and do not need people coming on here and saying how shitty they are. Grow up and move on.../rant
Old 05-22-2012, 08:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ryans06gxp
Grow up and move on.../rant
I like this guy.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

What's wrong with hauling the family around in the gxp? That's what I thought these cars were designed for Haha. I know that's why I bought my impala. Haul the baby around, but not have to drive something that takes a year to get to 60 and is boring.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There's not many of us ls4 fans left. I feel sorry for the newer members, because this forum has gone to ****. Everyone has bailed to gmls4.net. impalaforums.com is more of appearance site. Good luck. But theres plenty of ex ls4 owners that will tell you how much our cars suck.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Heh... I love my car.

Quick Reply: trans bit the dust today