LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

SS wheels flaking?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 04:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SS wheels flaking?

Hey guys after a nice rainstorm here i noticed there was water under the clear coat of my rim. Looks like it started around the center cap where it was starting to kinda corrode a little. Anyways tried getting it out and now i have a few patches missing. Anybody remove the clear and polish the rims? or should i just buy another rim because the others are still perfect.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

I stripped and clear coated some mustang 10 hole wheels once and they looked very nice afterwards but I did all 4. The clear was very shiny. More so than my imp wheels. Also, they wheels chipped slightly easier. Regular stripper would not get the existing clearcoat off, had to use aluminum aircraft stripper. To be honest, just one wheel, the work and the cost will probably be comparable to just finding another used wheel unless you have high dollar wheels. You also run the risk of the wheel having a different sheen to the clear coating. My vote goes for a replacement wheel.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

Just powder coat them.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you strip the clear coat you will have to polish them regularly or else they will look really bad... They will look really good if you keep them well polished though! If you feel that you can keep up with that, that is one option. option 2- powder coat all your wheels... option 3- buy a new wheel!

Quick Reply: SS wheels flaking?