LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

abs module :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default abs module :(

well i havent been on here in forever to busy on acurazine got a 05 tl... anyways ive been having problems with car abs break and traction lights are on it says service all of those... also have stability control pop up in dic and service variable effort steering.. i believe its my abs module which i s expensive as f^$k... anyone else have these problems... so i dont waste my money buying this part...
Old 12-24-2012, 08:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If the message is saying service variable effort steering then its a issue that portion. not the ABS module
Old 12-25-2012, 02:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm having the same issues. The garage down the road hooked his reader up for free and came up with a steering wheel position sensor. So $250 later... same problem. I go back down there and he can't get it to connect. So I head down to the dealership they charge $45 and pull a code "something" 550, I don't recall what it was exactly. They also tried to reset it, but that didn't work. They recommended I find a used one.
I could find one off a GXP, and no one I talked to would confirm that one off a different model would work.
I found a company on eBay that will rebuild mine for $99. He didn't receive it till last Friday, and with the holidays going on I haven't gotten a hold of them to see what's up. I'll contact them tomorrow and see if they looked at it yet, and what kind of eta for me to get it back. If it works out good I'll post up some contact info.
On a side note there is only 6 torx screws holding the module on, and you don't have to touch the brake lines.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

ya i had a 550, 898, 896 codes which is internal malfunction low voltage and something else... ya let me know how it goes i hate having all that **** pop up everytime i turn my car on
Old 12-28-2012, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well crap, I put the rebuilt ABS module back in and it's still throwing warnings. I got a hold of the guy that rebuilt it and he wants to know what codes it's throwing.
I just got back from the garage, the only code they could pull up is C0253. That takes me back to the $250 steering wheel position sensor.
From what I read on the internet it's supposed take 10 mins of driving in a strait line before it throws a code. However it's throwing it as soon as I fire up the car.
So does anyone have an idea? I'm thinkin a bad ground?(anyone know where the ground is for the steering wheel position sensor?) or the control module is still bad?

Last edited by Brian396; 12-28-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok ,Purple haze, assuming by the name it is a gxp.It is steering related. The codes are confusing due to the GXP having stability control.
These are all C0xxx codes which is what is making it hard to understand. Yes there is a P0550 ECM code as it has to do with torque managment and the EBCM (code will set as a result of an internal EBCM circuit failure) and the BCM. The EBCM goes through a self test once the car is meeting certain requirements and after every start. This is when you are getting the lights and codes. Some must be cleared at the dealer/techII and cannot even be read with a regular scanner. It is a EBCM problem... wether it is the computer or wiring or sensor or brake fluid or MAF sensor it is for sure there in that system. I posted a GROUNDS thread over at GMLS4, the BK/WH wires at the EBCM pins 16 &45 are grounds and G100,G101, G102 and G115(GMLS4 thread)
start with this

Last edited by Ill_Born_ss; 02-11-2013 at 04:51 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:10 PM
12 Second Club

My car would turn off the traction control, stability track, and throw a abs code at start up, as soon as I put the car in gear. The dealership used a TechII and told me my steering wheel position sensor was bad. I used a TechII at school and recalibrated the steering wheel angle, and all is good now.
When I dropped my cradle the sensor must have gotten screwed up.

C codes are chassis, B codes are body, P codes are power train. Everything communicates through the CAN BUS (controller area network). IIRC our cars use 8 different computers. As ILL BORN suggested.. use a TechII for diagnosis
Old 12-29-2012, 05:31 PM
On The Tree

i have a abs scanner and it popped up b codes but i looked up the numbers and there c codes... heres how my lights came on... hopefully this helps... was putting new speakers in doors.... old lady decides to turn car on and roll down windows as soon as she did that all that **** came up on my on my car... what makes it really weird is on a hot day the lights sometime go out but they have been on for a good straight 2 months.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

if i was not getting laid off lol ide trade in the gxp and get a audi lol... so tired of pontiac love my car but damn in a year i had to do front hubs axles tranny breaks and rotors starter....
Old 01-04-2013, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
My car would turn off the traction control, stability track, and throw a abs code at start up, as soon as I put the car in gear. The dealership used a TechII and told me my steering wheel position sensor was bad. I used a TechII at school and recalibrated the steering wheel angle, and all is good now.
Woohoo I put the stock steering wheel and no more warning lights!

The new steering wheel sensor must need to be calibrated?

I'm happy with the results of the rebuilt module, so if anyone is interested http://stores.ebay.com/MODULE-REPAIR...p2047675.l2563
Old 01-04-2013, 12:34 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the update Brain.

Quick Reply: abs module :(