LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

o2 sensor locations???

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default o2 sensor locations???

Early I threw codes.. checked them and found out there's 3 problems..2 o2s.. and evap..

Heres specifics

I need to know locations of bank 1 sensor 1 and bank1 sensor too.. not sure if there are scematics somewhere or what..

Codes.

P0036 bank1 sen 2 heater xcircuit

P0135 o2 sensor heater circuit malfunction bank1 sen1

P0141 or sensor heater circuit malfunction bank1 sen1

And last but not least
P0443 evap emissions control system purge valve c fault

That one I'm sure ill habe to drop the tank correct??

No secret doors inder the back seat???

I bought two 80 dollar o2s and need to know I'm putting them in the right areas.. I believe we have 4.

As far as the evap.. can I purge it from under the hood maybe it'll go away?? I think its not getting any signal back and its need replaced but I'd like to not have to drop the tank.. I HATE check engine lights and I MUST fix it somehow..

I figured the o2s are a must considering I'm buying a trinity in the next week and don't know how I'm sending lew logs with bad sensors
Old 02-05-2013, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Return the 2 O2 sensors and get a refund.

It is highly unlikely for both O2 sensors to fail at once. The car was possibly cold and the battery voltage was below the given requirements for at least 25 seconds.
The P0443 code is of a common problem with the purge/vent solenoid in the rear fender 15 min job to change out. Here is where and how to change the valve/solenoid http://www.gmls4.com/index.php?topic=1011.0

recommendations are to clear the codes and put a trickle charge on the battery for the night. Drive the car again to see if/what codes return.
My bet only P0443 if it does as it is voltage monitored also.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:43 PM
Staging Lane

Bank 1 is the drivers side, so it would be both 02 sensors on the drivers side.. BEING that the 02 sensors are actually bad.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

Ok will due. Ill buy a charher right now and do it tonight.. have my own obd2 now so shouldnt be a problem.. now for the o2s that shou ld be easy because I don't have them yet.. they were ordering them which would take a few days.. which gives me plenty of time to try this charge method.. thanks a lot hope it works
Old 02-05-2013, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Black01Bird
Bank 1 is the drivers side, so it would be both 02 sensors on the drivers side.. BEING that the 02 sensors are actually bad.
Specifically?? I'm not too great with cars but my buddy, who is, even he couldn't spot them.. guy at part store couldn't spot them either.. are they under the crossover pipe that links the manifolds? Figured they were hidden good cause like a said my buddy is a damn good mechanic and from above the engine he could not seem to find them..
Old 02-05-2013, 09:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 08GXPGXP
Specifically?? I'm not too great with cars but my buddy, who is, even he couldn't spot them.. guy at part store couldn't spot them either.. are they under the crossover pipe that links the manifolds? Figured they were hidden good cause like a said my buddy is a damn good mechanic and from above the engine he could not seem to find them..
Post-cat O2 sensor is ontop of the pipe right after the cat just before the flange. Very easy to locate, not the most fun to replace. The other one is on top of the rear manifold right next to the flange.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lVloses
Post-cat O2 sensor is ontop of the pipe right after the cat just before the flange. Very easy to locate, not the most fun to replace. The other one is on top of the rear manifold right next to the flange.
I don't think post cat one is one of the ones throwing the code.. I'm thinking there both up stream you could say.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

Am I right about the ls4 having 4 o2??
Old 02-06-2013, 11:51 AM
12 Second Club

Only two. O2, and converter Catalyst efficiency sensor.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
Only two. O2, and converter Catalyst efficiency sensor.
The man himself.. thanks dave
Old 02-06-2013, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08GXPGXP
Ok will due. Ill buy a charher right now and do it tonight.. have my own obd2 now so shouldnt be a problem.. now for the o2s that shou ld be easy because I don't have them yet.. they were ordering them which would take a few days.. which gives me plenty of time to try this charge method.. thanks a lot hope it works
So, how did this work out for you?
Old 02-06-2013, 01:08 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

there is no bank 2 on our cars... there is only a bank 1...

and sensor 1 is the o2 sensor before the cat, closest to the engine... and sensor 2 is the o2 sensor after the cat...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 02-06-2013, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ill_Born_ss
I'll keep everyone posted.. Haven't done it yet.. Did buy a nice charger tho.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
there is no bank 2 on our cars... there is only a bank 1...

and sensor 1 is the o2 sensor before the cat, closest to the engine... and sensor 2 is the o2 sensor after the cat...
Obd2 said bank 1 sen 1 and bank 1 sen 2.. If I said bank 2 by accident I probably meant sen2
Old 02-08-2013, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Charging now.. should be done in the am hopefully by 9ish.. that would be 12 hrs. May take long. 2amp trickle charge
Old 02-09-2013, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

Charged 18 hours.. and nothing.. still getting codes when I start the car for the second time after erasing them.. picked up my evap part and o2s will be in tomorrow.. gotta get this fixebefore my trinity arrives
Old 02-18-2014, 05:06 PM

I'm getting 4 codes pertaining the o2 sensors, and 1 for the evap purge solenoid. How did all of this work out for you? Did replacing them do the trick? And was your car different, so to say, when you drove it? Did it sometimes act funny when started up before replacing the parts? I'm going to buy all 3 and just replace them just to be safe, so any advice on it? I have an 07 gxp might be a little different but any advice always helps
Old 02-19-2014, 05:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It is unfortunate that 08gxpgxp did not respond back with his solution. I personally don`t think all three items go wrong at once, though they are all powered thru the emission 1 fuse. Yes they all will cause codes and can cause the car to run poorly! I will double check the wiring diagrams because even though they are powered thru the emission 1 fuse they also have a fuse downstream( closer to the units in question ). This makes me think there is a short prior to the emission 1 fuse and/or caused by the low battery encountered just prior to these codes showing up. This exact scenario has shown up in other posts on this and other sites and the culptrit was wiring at/or around the airbox and the computers (chaffed/ chewed wires) repairs were done, codes were cleared and all was well again.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:12 PM

It is unfortunate that 08gxpgxp did not respond back with his solution. I personally don`t think all three items go wrong at once, though they are all powered thru the emission 1 fuse. Yes they all will cause codes and can cause the car to run poorly! I will double check the wiring diagrams because even though they are powered thru the emission 1 fuse they also have a fuse downstream( closer to the units in question ). This makes me think there is a short prior to the emission 1 fuse and/or caused by the low battery encountered just prior to these codes showing up. This exact scenario has shown up in other posts on this and other sites and the culptrit was wiring at/or around the airbox and the computers (chaffed/ chewed wires) repairs were done, codes were cleared and all was well again.
Very interesting. Great way to explain it. So how would I go about checking these wires? I replaced that fuse and it blew again. Where should I look? I'm not too auto savvy, pics or a walkthrough would be awesome and helpful. You are so much help by the way. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. I will continue to post on this forum even after all of this is said and done.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Brian727
Very interesting. Great way to explain it. So how would I go about checking these wires? I replaced that fuse and it blew again. Where should I look? I'm not too auto savvy, pics or a walkthrough would be awesome and helpful. You are so much help by the way. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. I will continue to post on this forum even after all of this is said and done.
I have an LS4 Impala SS with the exact same problem you described. Were you able to track down the wiring problem? Could you share your solution? Also, I had a problem with my speed sensor jumping all over, and I found and fixed it. It was not the speed sensor. If anyone has a question about that please let me know I'll be happy to share. I messed around with that for over a year.

Quick Reply: o2 sensor locations???