LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Looking For Recommended LS4 Performance Parts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 04:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking For Recommended LS4 Performance Parts?

Hi, I am debating on putting and LS4 in my fiero. I have been tossing up the idea of building a 3500 LX9 like I have in my z24 or going with a LS4 and building it up.

I am mainly looking for cam, head, exhaust, intakes.
Anything that can be swapped from other engines to make more power. Trying to keep the cost on the low side.

Thank you for your time,
cavalier3400z
Old 05-07-2013, 06:13 AM
Teching In

I'm in the process of bumping the power from my LS4 and have done quite a bit of reading to see what works. You've come to a good site, TONS of good info here!

As to the upgrades you mentioned, The cam I've chosen based on posts here is the Lunati Voodoo. I'll have to look up the part # and will post it later...Heads, These motors already have LS6 heads so other than maybe doing a little work to them they aren't worth swapping... Exhaust, Doug Thorley makes headers for them if that route interestes you. They come with the crossover, are ceramic coated, and run about $600....Intake, Here's the biggie!!! The LS4 intake is very restrictive. Look for an LS! or better yet an LS6 intake. Probably your best bang for the buck mod.

A couple other items to look into: Rocker Arms and springs. Going with a 1.8 rocker and the LS6 springs sounds like a good return on investment. An LS7 MAF. The LS4 is very restrictive. Look for an LS2 throttle body. The LS4 is 78mm and the LS2 is 90mm. You will need an adaptor plate because one uses 3 bolts to mount and the other uses 4 bolts.

Other than that, I'd say just start reading posts. There are some very experienced people on this site. What I listed above is just from my research. I've gathered almost all these parts and hope to start putting them on in a week or 2, then to the tuner.

Good luck! Share the info if you find something better. It's what make sites like these as great as they are!
Old 05-07-2013, 08:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Of your going ls4 your gonna want to grab:
Ls6 intake
Ls7 card style maf
Ls2 throttlebidy
Tsf 205cc heads
Header back exaust of your choice.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

And a specd cam
Old 05-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by smoooth
I'm in the process of bumping the power from my LS4 and have done quite a bit of reading to see what works. You've come to a good site, TONS of good info here!

As to the upgrades you mentioned, The cam I've chosen based on posts here is the Lunati Voodoo. I'll have to look up the part # and will post it later...Heads, These motors already have LS6 heads so other than maybe doing a little work to them they aren't worth swapping... Exhaust, Doug Thorley makes headers for them if that route interestes you. They come with the crossover, are ceramic coated, and run about $600....Intake, Here's the biggie!!! The LS4 intake is very restrictive. Look for an LS! or better yet an LS6 intake. Probably your best bang for the buck mod.

A couple other items to look into: Rocker Arms and springs. Going with a 1.8 rocker and the LS6 springs sounds like a good return on investment. An LS7 MAF. The LS4 is very restrictive. Look for an LS2 throttle body. The LS4 is 78mm and the LS2 is 90mm. You will need an adaptor plate because one uses 3 bolts to mount and the other uses 4 bolts.

Other than that, I'd say just start reading posts. There are some very experienced people on this site. What I listed above is just from my research. I've gathered almost all these parts and hope to start putting them on in a week or 2, then to the tuner.

Good luck! Share the info if you find something better. It's what make sites like these as great as they are!
I have a bunch of LS6 springs and lifter springs that I bought for building 3400 and 3500 engines.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by baltsk8er69
Of your going ls4 your gonna want to grab:
Ls6 intake
Ls7 card style maf
Ls2 throttlebidy
Tsf 205cc heads
Header back exaust of your choice.
Are all of these bolt on or is there modding involved. Is it better to get rid of the dod or what ever people call it? I do not care about fuel economy as long as it isn't 6MPH. I would like to at least get 20 on the highway. Is there a way to keep my AC if anyone is familiar with fieros?
Old 05-07-2013, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mostly require modding
Old 05-07-2013, 11:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 201 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by cavalier3400z
Is there a way to keep my AC if anyone is familiar with fieros?
Yes, you can keep AC when you install it in a Fiero.

My recommendation for bang/buck and ease of install:
  • Delete Dod: this way you can use a flat valley cover and just need to cut/drill/tap the cover for a plug (mount the OPSU down by the oil pan or tap the block like I did).
  • LS2: Intake and throttle body ($250 or less) reuse LS4 fuel rail and injectors). With the flat valley cover and capped OPSU, the intake installed w/o mods for the 05-06 and only mod on 07+ is to enlarge the MAP hole for the LS4 sensor. If the LS2 injectors come with it, use them - same connector as the LS4 injectors but are higher flow.
  • 8 Injector spacers off ebay and 4 fuel rail spacers from McMaster.com ($65 - don't need the $50 injector spacers if you use the LS2 injectors)
  • LS7 MAF and a 4" air intake tube.
  • Camshaft of your choice with matching push rods/springs. Mine is 224/232.
  • Good exhaust: I doubt the DT headers will fit a fiero without cutting the truck, but LS7 manifolds work well with the manuals or the 6T75.
  • Get a tune...

The LS2 intake isn't the best one for performance, but it is cheap to buy, is one of the best looking LS intakes, and greatly reduces the other custom/expensive parts needed for the swap. On a stock 5.3L it might cost you 5-10hp or on my setup possibly 20 hp.

I am running this setup (kept DoD) and using the LS7 exhaust manifolds in my 88 Fiero with the F40 6 speed manual. On a 65 degree day it gets 27.3 mpg running the interstate at 70-75 running in V8 mode, it pulls strong to 7K RPM and before the MAF upgrade it was pulling 42 lb/min airflow, so it should have north of 400 flywheel hp

Here is an old pic before I upgraded to the LS7 MAF:

Here is the more condensed version of my build thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...peed-swap.html
Old 05-07-2013, 12:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This with a smaller gasket will make you quite pleased:

http://www.trickflow.com/partdetail....5&autoview=sku

Add in exhaust and an intake and you're good to go.

I got 24mpg hwy going 75, but my in town is terrible sitting at 13.5mpg.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fieroguru
Yes, you can keep AC when you install it in a Fiero.

My recommendation for bang/buck and ease of install:
  • Delete Dod: this way you can use a flat valley cover and just need to cut/drill/tap the cover for a plug (mount the OPSU down by the oil pan or tap the block like I did).
  • LS2: Intake and throttle body ($250 or less) reuse LS4 fuel rail and injectors). With the flat valley cover and capped OPSU, the intake installed w/o mods for the 05-06 and only mod on 07+ is to enlarge the MAP hole for the LS4 sensor. If the LS2 injectors come with it, use them - same connector as the LS4 injectors but are higher flow.
  • 8 Injector spacers off ebay and 4 fuel rail spacers from McMaster.com ($65 - don't need the $50 injector spacers if you use the LS2 injectors)
  • LS7 MAF and a 4" air intake tube.
  • Camshaft of your choice with matching push rods/springs. Mine is 224/232.
  • Good exhaust: I doubt the DT headers will fit a fiero without cutting the truck, but LS7 manifolds work well with the manuals or the 6T75.
  • Get a tune...

The LS2 intake isn't the best one for performance, but it is cheap to buy, is one of the best looking LS intakes, and greatly reduces the other custom/expensive parts needed for the swap. On a stock 5.3L it might cost you 5-10hp or on my setup possibly 20 hp.

I am running this setup (kept DoD) and using the LS7 exhaust manifolds in my 88 Fiero with the F40 6 speed manual. On a 65 degree day it gets 27.3 mpg running the interstate at 70-75 running in V8 mode, it pulls strong to 7K RPM and before the MAF upgrade it was pulling 42 lb/min airflow, so it should have north of 400 flywheel hp

Here is an old pic before I upgraded to the LS7 MAF:

Here is the more condensed version of my build thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...peed-swap.html

Did you clearance anything body wise besides the cradle? I do not want to have to hack up the body unless it is minor. How will you keep the AC if you your alternator is probably where the AC will be?
Old 05-08-2013, 08:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 201 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by cavalier3400z
Did you clearance anything body wise besides the cradle? I do not want to have to hack up the body unless it is minor. How will you keep the AC if you your alternator is probably where the AC will be?
The LS4 water pump inlet will not clear the stock fiero decklid hinge box on the passenger side. Most cut the hinge box for clearance or modify the water pump. I removed both hinge boxes and replaced them with a much cleaner setup:
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/085829.html

The only other body/chassis mod was to shift the factory notch in the DS frame rail to the rear about 3/4" so it is centered around the edge of the F40. This was mostly done for aesthetics as I could have easily just shifted the engine/transmission placement slightly and avoided it, but then it wouldn't have been centered. Several other people notched/dented the side of the PS strut tower to clear the idler on the stock LS4 water pump or clearanced the PS frame rail to mount the alternator down low above the PS axle. I didn't have to do either of these because I changed the stock belt routing and alternator .

Here is my accessory drive. The water pump housing was significantly modified to make room for the A/C (mounted 2" lower) and Alternator to co-exist. A less labor intensive solution is to use the West Coast Fieros bracket that hangs the alternator off the front of the engine in the battery tray area.

Stock LS4 accessory drive for comparison:
Old 05-08-2013, 01:34 PM
Teching In

Your setup should keep the alternator cool. Will it get wet down there? Also did you remove the factory blower in the trunk or did your fiero not have one to keep the alternator cool and ignition coil?
Old 05-10-2013, 04:25 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by smoooth

I thought the ls6 heads that these cars have, had ls6 springs with ls1 valves?

Quick Reply: Looking For Recommended LS4 Performance Parts?