LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Downshifting with the Tap Shift

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 08:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Downshifting with the Tap Shift

Using tap shift is a hell of a lot different than a real manual I find. What are you guys using for your shifting points when crusing? Like accelerating slowly what rpms do you guys do generally and downshifting is the one that makes me nervous. Even when I slow right down and drop to 1st it just feels a little more harsh than if I had a clutch. Would there be any problem in just letting the car downshift itself if I felt like driving around in tap shift all day? I see that it will downshift if you go slow enough in 2nd or 3rd.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:12 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive exclusively in tap shift mode because D always clunks when going from 2 to 1...

Unless I downshift at about 20 - 25 km/h (12 - 15 mph)... when I observe this speed range I can't here or feel a thing.

Cruising around my town I rarely if ever use 4th by the way
Old 05-30-2013, 08:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Red_Zone
I drive exclusively in tap shift mode because D always clunks when going from 2 to 1...

Unless I downshift at about 20 - 25 km/h (12 - 15 mph)... when I observe this speed range I can't here or feel a thing.

Cruising around my town I rarely if ever use 4th by the way
Do you have a tune?
Old 05-30-2013, 08:52 AM
On The Tree

Tap shift is nice for up shifting, I usually put it back in D for the downshifts.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 92builtbird
Do you have a tune?
I do not yet unfortunately... Planning on saving up for a TEP Trans... then likely get the tune.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Red_Zone
I do not yet unfortunately... Planning on saving up for a TEP Trans... then likely get the tune.
My car used to shutter bad from the 2>1 shift.
I went and got a ECM/TCM Tune from Vector, and left it with them for the day for street calibration.

When I got it back, it felt like a different car. It hasn't shuttered since. Everything is crisp and responsive. It's the best mod for these cars.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:30 PM
Launching!

Ya i'm looking into a tune soon also. I've tested out tap shift more and have noticed the 3>2 shift is good around 50km/h but haven't found the sweet spot for the 2>1... i'll give it a try at 20 though. Is it bad for cars to be revving up on a downshift or is it fine as long as you don't hit the red line lol. I like the upshifting for racing people but i'm always too scared to do a powershift (drop down a gear) if doing a roll on the highway. I'm also almost too afraid to use downshifting to slow the vehicle like I can do with some real manuals. Maybe the lack of a manual clutch makes it feel a little more harsh when you downshift without stepping on the brake.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

you might want to keep an eye on trans temp if playing with tap shift alot. i think mine gets warmer than just leaving it in drive which makes sense
Old 06-06-2013, 09:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ghetto joe
you might want to keep an eye on trans temp if playing with tap shift alot. i think mine gets warmer than just leaving it in drive which makes sense
It's strange. I'm almost finding the opposite as long as i'm babying. If i'm goin full bore then yes it gets hotter but with tapshift there's probably less slippage with the clutches, if that makes sense. Since the automatic tries getting the smoothest possible shifts by basically slipping into gear (someone correct me if i'm wrong).
Old 06-06-2013, 10:03 PM
11 Second Club

The TCC apply/release tables are way different for TAPshift. The TCC stays locked a lot more in TAPshift mode than it does in normal mode. This helps to give it that more direct/sporty feel.

TCC locked more = less slipping, which would typically result in lower temps. The shift times for the TAPshift tables are a hair slower than the shift times for regular mode oddly enough.

Torque Reduction is also different between the two. TAPshift has more Torque Reduction at lower throttle but less at higher throttle.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

I only use it if I need to get back into first gear to get ready for a 30 roll

Quick Reply: Downshifting with the Tap Shift