LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Strange exhaust sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013 | 06:59 PM
Staging Lane

Default Strange exhaust sound

Hey everyone, So seems like I'm starting to have some little issues coming up. I had my air conditioner go out. And I'm also having a strange exhaust sound. I have a 2006 Monte Carlo SS. The stock exhaust has always sounded pretty decent. But recently when I started turning my car on I would get almost like a rattle type sound out of the left exhaust/muffler. It was a northern car that made it's way down south which is where I got it. So it's got a fair amount of rust on it, kind of like you would expect out a 7 year old "northern" car. I thought one of the mounts maybe came loose and it was actually rattling but after crawling under the car, everything looks fine. Now here is the other thing that makes me think it is the exhaust or the muffler, when I drive and roll my windows down I can hear almost like a "chuffing" out of the left side under normal acceleration and then if you accelerate harder it goes back to sounding like normal. When I first got my car I thought about just getting a new exhaust anyway but then I kind of grew to like the stock sound. But now after running into this issue I'm back to thinking about it again. For those who know exhausts a little better then me, does it sound like just the mufflers or does it sound like an actual exhaust issue? If I can just change the mufflers then I will go that route, but if it is an exhaust issue then I may just do it right and get new headers and have some custom piping done to get rid of the u-bend. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks guys
Old 07-01-2013 | 07:13 PM
On The Tree

My driver side stock muffler is going out, rattles like hell until the car is warmed up.
Old 07-02-2013 | 09:43 AM
Teching In

Drop your exhaust down at the rear hangers, and look at the tops of the mufflers... they're likely rotted out at the seams.
Old 07-02-2013 | 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

It could be something loose inside the mufflers or inside the cat.
Old 07-02-2013 | 09:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
It could be something loose inside the mufflers or inside the cat.
Yea, it's something crazy. I'm going to check the top of the muffler tomorrow and see if it is rusting through up top. Hopefully that's all it is. I don't want to have to replace the whole exhaust if I don't need to lol
Old 07-03-2013 | 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

So I checked it out and my muffler is in fact rusting out from up top. So I found the strange sound issue. I'm going to buy some new mufflers this weekend, I'm probably going to get the Spintech pro street 6000 series. I've listened to a ton of mufflers for the Monte Carlo SS and that sounds the best by far. Now I know the 06' Monte Carlo SS has an offset inlet and a center outlet. My question is what size inlet/outlet do I need? Do I need a 2.25 inch or a 2.5 inch? I have a completely stock exhaust so I need whatever size matches up with that. Thanks everyone.

Quick Reply: Strange exhaust sound