LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Cat Back exhaust or just a muffler

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 08:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat Back exhaust or just a muffler

Hey everyone, So my left muffler has started to rust out and I'm sure the right one isn't far behind. I need to replace them and I plan on getting some spintech pro street 6000's. I also am thinking about having the exhaust shop make me up a cat back exhaust and jump up to 2.5" pipe since the 06' Monte Carlo is 2.25" from the cat back. But here is my question, is it really worth it? I'm just going for sound. I'm trying to not put a whole lot of money into this car because as soon as it get's payed off then I plan on going and getting a new car. However this is still several years out so I want to be happy with what I drive. I know I will only gain a little extra power and the car will breath a little better. But if I plan on keeping it pretty much stock is it worth the money? And does anyone know how much more something like that would cost? if it's only like $100 or so more then yea I would go ahead and do it. But if it's going to be several hundred dollars more then I may just go with a muffler. But yea, I'm just not sure what to do since this will be my first car that I have done something like this to, So any help would be much appreciated. Thanks guys
Old 07-07-2013, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

Well IMO I suggest you get just a set of mufflers and call it good. If you are going for not spending money you might be able to get a couple of stock mufflers off of a different car at the shop and have them put those on. Cat back custom exhaust can get pretty pricey depending on the shop. I would guess around 400-700, but thats where I live.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you just want sound go with the spintech mufflers. If you want a little more power get a catback with larger pipes.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Launching!

I went with a Hogan 3" catless DP and made my own 3" into dual 3" catback with 3 Schoenfeld Racing Mufflers. I just got done adding a cat into the mix for inspection purposes.

Hogan no longer makes the downpipes...but the stock catback is good to all the power the transmission will handle...your biggest bottleneck is the DP.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:40 PM
Launching!

Iirc the exhaust is 2.5 till it gets to the y which is 2.25
I spent so much money on my exhaust I could've built my engine lol I say just do mufflers unless you get a good price which depends where you live, here in LA county there are alot of exhaust shops for cheap I got my piping done to 3in cat back to 2.5 y for 100 the mufflers I had already done previous to the piping, performance wise you aren't getting much from the exhaust on these cars unless you plan on going catless

Quick Reply: Cat Back exhaust or just a muffler