LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

nitrous on stock engine and trans

Old 07-16-2013, 08:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitrous on stock engine and trans

I was wondering if it would be safe to run a 75 shot on a stock engine and a rebuilt trans that has a stock input shaft and stock chain ? I would be spraying only in 2nd gear and 3rd , any thoughts ? Will it be safe to run this ?
Old 07-17-2013, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The motor would be fine, though I would run a wet shot with a controller so you can do it the safest possible way.

As for the trans, who rebuilt it and what upgrades were done? The chain and input shaft shouldn't be a problem with a 75-shot, but there are lots of failure points in these trannys, and they're usually not hard parts.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trans had a hardened 4th clutch , precision torque converter and I can't remember what else off hand. I have a tuner , could I just make a map for it instead of buying a controller ?
Old 07-17-2013, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gagt3100
Trans had a hardened 4th clutch , precision torque converter and I can't remember what else off hand. I have a tuner , could I just make a map for it instead of buying a controller ?
You could do a nitrous tune, but there are compromises by doing that. You won't get optimal performance off the bottle when you aren't spraying. Also, there are things you can do with a controller that aren't possible with just a tune.

For example, you can add a WB O2 sensor to many controllers, so if you start to lean out, the controller will cut the nitrous and possibly save your motor. Ditto with a fuel pressure sensor. You can also adjust settings like not spraying in first gear, etc. I run Harris Speedworks MicroEdge and Interface on the system in my Camaro. Coupled with my WB, I have a system that makes it as safe as possible.

I'd at least look into this!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: nitrous on stock engine and trans