LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

upper strut mounts help

Old 08-18-2013, 08:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default upper strut mounts help

I'm getting some play in my upper strut mounts in the trunk of my 06Gxp.
I was wondering how hard it would be for me to change them and do my sway bar end links at the same time?
Any special instructions I need to observe guys?
I don't need to lift the car right?
Old 08-18-2013, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You gave to pull the struts completely. Remove wheel remove 2 bolts that hold strut to knuckle. Remove bolt that holds endlink to strut. Get in trunk and remove upper strut mount bolts. The strut will fall out. Use a spring comoressor that you normally can rent from a parts store to compress the spring. Then you loosen the bolt that runs through the top of the strut. And air ratchet helps since sometimes the strut wanys to spin at the same time. Remember the order of the spacers and washers that come off. Remove spring insulator from old strut mount. Apply to new strut mount. Line new mount up with spring. Tighten large nut back down with spacers in correct order. Then reinstall. Bam done deal. Should take about an hour a side if you take your time .
Old 08-19-2013, 02:02 PM
Banned

Do u know how I can tell if my upper strut mount is shot? Its in the trunk I know but its hard to see
Old 08-19-2013, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Unless it was really bad i don't think you can physically move the mount to tell its bad, I am under the impression the upper strut mounts and sway bar links are common high wear items. I have 80000 miles so i wouldn't think the struts are bad, i get a rattle type clunk over cracks in the road at normal speed.
And at very slow speed such as backing into a parking space or rolling forward at the light i get this popping sort of clunk like I'm rolling over a rock, this noise only seems to come from the rear, the rattle type clunk which i think is the sway bar links seems to be up front and in rear
Old 08-19-2013, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The thing is if you take that all apart and replace the upper mounts and it still makes the noise...then its probably the struts. So you might as well do rear struts while your there.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:14 AM
On The Tree

If it makes the noise still.?!. :-/ lol yea but what are them struts 400 or more for two?

might be close enough to go to a nice adjustable aftermarket set of shocks for a comparable price as well?

Thanks for the instructions man btw
Old 08-20-2013, 07:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You'll know if the struts are completely done when you get them off. I could compress mine totally with nearly no resistance.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:42 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by severancej
If it makes the noise still.?!. :-/ lol yea but what are them struts 400 or more for two?

might be close enough to go to a nice adjustable aftermarket set of shocks for a comparable price as well?

Thanks for the instructions man btw
One thing is certain bilstein has the best shocks available for the w-body but if you wanna go another route kyb agx are right behind them then kyb excel g. I would only recommend the bilsteins though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: upper strut mounts help