LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Under Coating?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 05:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Under Coating?

For those of you in the Northern states or Canada, do you ever get yours undercoated? Had my truck done but am reconsidering with my car... Wondering if washing it once a week or so is just as good as having it undercoated.

If you guys haven't, did you get a lot of visible rust??
Old 11-22-2013, 08:30 PM
RKO
Staging Lane

My old 1992 lumina was under coated in 1998 and the underside was still in good shape in 2010 when I sold it... The brake lines and fuel lines did look pretty sorry though and finally had one rupture in 2009. I live in buffalo... And we dump probably the most saltin the country on our roads.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Washing the car won't ever be as good as undercoating unless you're jacking up the car and spraying *everywhere* out. Half-assed floor jets at the car wash won't compare to undercoating.

That being said, a lot of places half-*** undercoating and just spray the bajesus out of everything and the problem areas can still exist depending on the car.

The best option is to park it in the garage from November to May
Old 11-23-2013, 10:53 PM
Launching!

I would if I afford another DD lol. I'm actually getting it undercoated now... My dad's got a guy coming to the farm to do he and my brother's trucks. So i'm throwing my car in there too.

Having said that do you guys wash the bodies throughout the winter? Obviously the oil doesn't cover the body of the car so i'm wondering if it'd be a good idea to still wash that without getting rid of the oil undernieth...
Old 11-23-2013, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

oil????? hmmmmm, thats not true undercoating, the undercoat i use, is 20 bucks a can, made by 3m, its tough stuff, once on, it never comes off, and of course you still need to wash the body, i wash the underbody on my undercoated vehicles all winter long......
Old 11-24-2013, 02:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, still wash the car.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:19 PM
Teching In

grandpa has his car undercoated twice a year, fall and spring.. he had a 2000 jeep he sold in 09 and i did breaks and stuff on it first.. didnt see any rust under the car at all.. were he gets it done everything is coated and then they drill little holes under the door and stuff and coat them aswell.. used to get it done to my old 04 grand prix.. but i have a honda dd now.. dosnt matter what u do to them. they still rust.. plus it a 92.. its allready finished lol
Old 11-25-2013, 09:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ZEEYAL8R
oil????? hmmmmm, thats not true undercoating, the undercoat i use, is 20 bucks a can, made by 3m, its tough stuff, once on, it never comes off, and of course you still need to wash the body, i wash the underbody on my undercoated vehicles all winter long......
Wasn't meaning straight up oil lol, but rather the oily substance they use, not sure what it actually is.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by turbo_Ls4
grandpa has his car undercoated twice a year, fall and spring.. he had a 2000 jeep he sold in 09 and i did breaks and stuff on it first.. didnt see any rust under the car at all.. were he gets it done everything is coated and then they drill little holes under the door and stuff and coat them aswell.. used to get it done to my old 04 grand prix.. but i have a honda dd now.. dosnt matter what u do to them. they still rust.. plus it a 92.. its allready finished lol
lol ya I wish I kept my truck when I bought my car... when I get enough money i'm gonna try and pick up a cheap 4x4 to use in the winter so I can park my car. It's weird with these LS4's..... they're plain enough to be a DD but they're right on that fine line where you'd almost want to garage them over the winter lol. I know if I had enough money I would.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

this is what i use, took 5 cans to do my z, and 8 to do my wives van. i wire wheel any existing surface rust, prep and degrease everything im going to coat and spray away. its tough stuff, prepped right it will never come off.....my 94 z had zero rust when i did it a couple months ago, so i got to skip that step. once done, you never do it again unless you need to touch it up from a scrape or something, just wash the car and be done with it. cheaper undercoats will peel off with time.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...882_0006438195

i would use POR 15 if the car is already very rusty, but that stuff is a bish to work with.

if you really want to get crazy, you can drill small holes in hidden places in your door jambs and rockers, or any other high rust prone area and inject motor oil into the holes, filling the cavities from the inside......my 06 ram 3500 still looks showroom new in the cab corners and rear quarters etc. i have not done the underbody of my ram though, mainly because im scared to stand underneath a 7000 pound truck....LOL.

Last edited by ZEEYAL8R; 11-25-2013 at 10:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Under Coating?