LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

GP GXP radio question

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 06:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GP GXP radio question

Does the factory Monsoon,non-Nav head unit play MP3's?

Thanks guys.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:52 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The HU (radio) has to say MP3 in big white letters or it doesn't play them.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by need4z
The HU (radio) has to say MP3 in big white letters or it doesn't play them.
Damn, OK. I hate regular cd's. Oh well, I guess I'll have to upgrade to an aftermarket NAV that plays mp3's if I get the car.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

I also have the monsoon without the nav. I thought you could buy a aux attachment for the radio and just press the cd/aux button on the radio. Here is a pic.
Attached Thumbnails GP GXP radio question-img_20140501_175042.jpg  
Old 05-01-2014, 09:39 PM
Launching!

The i simple 32 I think from crutchfield or ebay does work with the monsoon factory harness to plug in an ipod or whatever. If you have the ability to do a clean install. Its like 35-50$ I think... don't quote me on the price. A few people have them installed.. shows songs through radio display, control it from your steering wheel if you wish and it charges it while its connected. Thats what I will probably do. I wouldnt of bothered if the monsoon played Mp3 Cd's. GM did stupid things back then. Still do. Just not as many. lol

Last edited by need4z; 05-13-2014 at 12:36 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:30 AM
12 Second Club

I'm picking up an '06 GXP with factory NAV(will do the patch update to play mp3's, hopefully I don't brick the unit lol), it doesn't have XM...can I add it?
Old 05-11-2014, 02:07 PM
12 Second Club

Never mind, I'm answered my own question...as a GM service advisor I should have already known the answer.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:17 PM
Teching In

Hi there, I bought bought a 2008 GXP in March, and was surprised to learn that it didn't come with an Auxiliary port. I thought I was stuck with using an FM transmitter, since I didn't want to mess around with an aftermarket radio and risk losing the HUD, DIC displays, steering wheel controls, etc. But I found this guy in Washington state who makes cable assemblies for this exact application. My radio is a 6 CD changer, with Monsoon, XM and no NAV.
The guy's name is Ray Kawal and his website is http://www.kawal.net/vettemods.htm. I bought the Aux-1 harness and it literally took me 10 minutes to install. No cutting or splicing, just plug and play. I haven't spent the time to route the cable properly and that will most likely be the most challenging part of the install. It's a great solution, Ray is really responsive and helpful and the cable only costs $40.
This is my first post, but I've been reading this forum for a while. Thanks to all for tons of great info.
The following users liked this post:
The70judge (08-16-2020)
Old 05-19-2014, 07:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Grand Prix GXP
My radio is a 6 CD changer, with Monsoon, XM and no NAV.
The guy's name is Ray Kawal and his website is http://www.kawal.net/vettemods.htm. I bought the Aux-1 harness and it literally took me 10 minutes to install.

Thanks, I'm looking for something like this too.

AUX-1 indicates it replaces XM, while AUX-3 states it adds to the XM.

Do you have XM now? I want to keep the XM and add the audio device.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Hi, I think the XM will work as long as you don't have an external device plugged in. Not sure, however, since I don't subscribe to XM. But the cable is a "Y" type, so it plugs into your XM receiver, then plugs back into the factory wiring harness, and adds a headphone jack, so I think that it would still work. Ray was really helpful and responsive, I would suggest sending him an email. good luck.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Grand Prix GXP
Hi there, I bought bought a 2008 GXP in March, and was surprised to learn that it didn't come with an Auxiliary port. I thought I was stuck with using an FM transmitter, since I didn't want to mess around with an aftermarket radio and risk losing the HUD, DIC displays, steering wheel controls, etc. But I found this guy in Washington state who makes cable assemblies for this exact application. My radio is a 6 CD changer, with Monsoon, XM and no NAV.
The guy's name is Ray Kawal and his website is http://www.kawal.net/vettemods.htm. I bought the Aux-1 harness and it literally took me 10 minutes to install. No cutting or splicing, just plug and play. I haven't spent the time to route the cable properly and that will most likely be the most challenging part of the install. It's a great solution, Ray is really responsive and helpful and the cable only costs $40.
This is my first post, but I've been reading this forum for a while. Thanks to all for tons of great info.
Reading through this thread I was literally going to mention Ray Kawal but then I arrived at your post lol.

Just to add, he is a great guy to deal with and he even has a bluetooth system now that plugs into the AUX harness, and mounts a small button anywhere you want and you can take phone calls and play music from your phone. I think it's like an additional 30 bucks.

Quick Reply: GP GXP radio question