LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

LS4 Wiring - VSS

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 11:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS4 Wiring - VSS

Hey guys,

I am doing a LS4 swap in my delorean and am needing some guidance, in terms of wiring.

I am using a 2006 LS4 with an E40 ECM (Gen 3).

I want to retain the DoD and cruise control.

I will be flashing my ecm with the 2005 bin. This enables dedicated pins for the cruise control on the ECM and dedicated tach output. These were moved to the data feed in 2006+ . So From there I can just hook up a universal cruise switch and my stop lamp input.

Where I run into trouble is both DoD and Cruise rely on a VSS, which I do not have. The engine is being mated to a 70s 5-speed Renault gearbox (UN1) so I do not have a VSS and ISS as most transmissions do. I can certainly fabricate an external VSS but I would need to determine which sensor and tooth count for the reluctor to use. I am not sure if the absence of an ISS would be ok. Furthermore, I see in the schematics that the VSS connects to the TCM (2 wires) then one wire is fed to the ECM. I really do not want to install a TCM, so hopefully there is a way around this. This is where I am looking for guidance.

This is also based on the assumption DoD and cruise requires a VSS. Im 99% sure they do but if they don’t it would save the hassle of this whole predicament.

I have all the wiring diagrams, I can post them up to refer to the exact pins and schematics I am referring to.

Also, for the tach I am assuming I can just hook it up to my tach (V6 was in the car originally) and adjust the pulses to suit with HPTuners. Please correct me here if I am wrong.

Thanks,
Josh
Old 11-27-2014, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jschatte
Hey guys,

I am doing a LS4 swap in my delorean and am needing some guidance, in terms of wiring.

I am using a 2006 LS4 with an E40 ECM (Gen 3).

I want to retain the DoD and cruise control.

I will be flashing my ecm with the 2005 bin. This enables dedicated pins for the cruise control on the ECM and dedicated tach output. These were moved to the data feed in 2006+ . So From there I can just hook up a universal cruise switch and my stop lamp input.

Where I run into trouble is both DoD and Cruise rely on a VSS, which I do not have. The engine is being mated to a 70s 5-speed Renault gearbox (UN1) so I do not have a VSS and ISS as most transmissions do. I can certainly fabricate an external VSS but I would need to determine which sensor and tooth count for the reluctor to use. I am not sure if the absence of an ISS would be ok. Furthermore, I see in the schematics that the VSS connects to the TCM (2 wires) then one wire is fed to the ECM. I really do not want to install a TCM, so hopefully there is a way around this. This is where I am looking for guidance.

This is also based on the assumption DoD and cruise requires a VSS. Im 99% sure they do but if they don’t it would save the hassle of this whole predicament.

I have all the wiring diagrams, I can post them up to refer to the exact pins and schematics I am referring to.

Also, for the tach I am assuming I can just hook it up to my tach (V6 was in the car originally) and adjust the pulses to suit with HPTuners. Please correct me here if I am wrong.

Thanks,
Josh

The DOD Enabled based on VSS/TCM/Engine RPM.

The stipulations for DOD are "Gear / Speed / RPM" so might be difficult without some type of VSS Simulator or External Vss. No clue on the Cruise Control , I'm going to assume it requires VSS as well as thats what our speedo uses.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you make a build thread for this somewhere? I saw your post about getting your cruise control working - so I'm assuming this is already up and running now?

Quick Reply: LS4 Wiring - VSS