LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Potential 08' GXP Owner Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential 08' GXP Owner Questions

Good Afternoon guys, new to the site and just had a few questions.

I have always loved the GXP's since they first came out, buddy of mine has owned four different Wbodys with the L67, I used to own a 02 impala back in the day as well

The thought of having one in V8 is really enticing, however I know they are starting to age now and some maintenance concerns have come up.

A local dealer near me has a 08' GXP for sale with 106k miles on it for $9995, this seems a little on the steep side, no? Figured I could try talking them down to 8k or so .

I like the V8 idea because these motors are stout and I have no problem believing that these things are built for the long haul (200k+ miles)

HOWEVER, at 106k miles I have some concerns about the general health of the transmission, especially in a GXP. Also GXP trannys are hard to come across, whereas a regular L67 Trans I can find twenty of them within a hours drive at various junkyards all over, for GXPS their is none.

My friend literally has three L67 motors and a spare tranny laying in his garage for a rainy day, they are so common and dirt cheap that replacements are easy to come by.

Also I have heard that LS4s will burn oil and eventually need an entire teardown / rebuild due to DoD fouling things up.

I realize I can turn the DoD off via a tune, but at 106k miles I fear the damage may already be done and irreversible. This is also turning me away from them.

Are my concerns founded? Anything else I should know about them? Is this a good deal on one?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Potential 08' GXP Owner Questions