LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Question about TEP

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lVloses
Straight from Dave when I was ordering my transmission:

"Gear ratio wise- 350 to 375whp is about the most I honestly like to put to a 3.29 ratio single chain set as they are known to stretch with short life at much more than this, but it really depends on driving habits, tune, track use, etc so can be a hard number to set on. We do have customers over 375whp with the 3.29 ratio that do just fine, just something I like to warn people about especially cars that are daily drivers."

And then here's an email from him about my rebuild:

"The chain has a little stretch which is to be expected from the single chains so I am going to install a new chain."
You have a ton of high end mods in your sig. What kind of power are you putting down and what do you consider your driving habits to be?
Old 09-16-2015, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Straight from Dave when I was ordering my transmission:

"Gear ratio wise- 350 to 375whp is about the most I honestly like to put to a 3.29 ratio single chain set as they are known to stretch with short life at much more than this, but it really depends on driving habits, tune, track use, etc so can be a hard number to set on. We do have customers over 375whp with the 3.29 ratio that do just fine, just something I like to warn people about especially cars that are daily drivers."

And then here's an email from him about my rebuild:

"The chain has a little stretch which is to be expected from the single chains so I am going to install a new chain."
Well chain stretch is normal wear and tear, not exactly a "failure". Sounds like he just replaced it because he was there, not that it necessarily was ready to be replaced. I've never understood his logic as to why he thinks that the gear ratio somehow effects chain stretch, and he never elaborated on that fact when I asked him about it. Even if it was the teeth setup on the sprockets, the 3.29 set is a 1:1 sprocket setup. I think his basis for that is merely from more people running the 3.29's over the 3.69 sets and there just being a higher rate of failure because more of them are being used.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rottonj
You have a ton of high end mods in your sig. What kind of power are you putting down and what do you consider your driving habits to be?
Not a clue on power now. ~375 would be a good guess. And it's my daily. I don't beat on it a whole lot but occasionally I'll get on it.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not a clue on power now. ~375 would be a good guess. And it's my daily. I don't beat on it a whole lot but occasionally I'll get on it.
Damn dude, I like it! Daily driven with that power must be fun. That is my concern. If I was to go this similar route as you have(325ish), daily driven, no sticky tires with probably less power than you have do you think the chain would still require bi annual changes? This transmission is the reason I have not modified the car, to drop almost 5 grand and then have bi annual maintenance is not worth it to me. What are your thoughts? Do you feel with your driving habits it should have needed to be replaced?
Old 09-16-2015, 12:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Guys are forgetting one important aspect of us vs 3800 guys, we weigh more on average than they do. So they can get away with it. The heavier the vehicle the more load on that trans at all time
Old 09-16-2015, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 91parkave
Guys are forgetting one important aspect of us vs 3800 guys, we weigh more on average than they do. So they can get away with it. The heavier the vehicle the more load on that trans at all time
The difference between the two is minuscule, the cast iron V6 easily makes up the weight difference between them. An 05 GTP is rated at 3583 lbs curb weight, where as the grand prix GXP is 3632.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:19 PM

They also have less rotational mass to carry smaller brakes way lighter wheels. Every bit help in a trans sion that was never designed to carry that power anyway
Old 09-17-2015, 05:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about TEP

After researching and reading thread after thread I'm sad to say that this car will be going to a new owner soon. For the power output I want it's just not worth putting a tranny in every other year. I bought it out of pure excitement because a stock Gxp had beaten my somewhat modded gtp and there nice cars it just sucks the transmissions suck so bad
Old 09-17-2015, 07:14 PM

Same deal goes for a lot of high horsepower cars don't be fooled by all the dyno videos of these super high hp cars, they do require transmission service all well. Unless your dropping stupid amounts of money on exotic transmissions. But if you wait it out just a little longer the 4t80 will he available which has held 650whp in stock form
Old 09-21-2015, 09:08 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EfrainGXP
After researching and reading thread after thread I'm sad to say that this car will be going to a new owner soon. For the power output I want it's just not worth putting a tranny in every other year. I bought it out of pure excitement because a stock Gxp had beaten my somewhat modded gtp and there nice cars it just sucks the transmissions suck so bad
Who says you have to put a tranny in every other year?!

Honestly now... serious now... If you are apprehensive about spending dough, then just forget about owning and operating a high horsepower car... 91park is right about what he just said...

A cool rare V8 car like a GXP... a killer sleeper once modded that kills pretty much anything stock you come across on the road... you can pick them up for fairly cheap. The car I have total investment is maybe $17,000 AMerican(car plus mods total). THat's about the cost of a brand new toyota whatever or some stupid chevy cruze... those things are **** ant performance like and worth NOTHING anyway in 7 years...

So I'll just wait until you reply so you can tell me what I SHOULD have spent my money on that can also produce the HP you see in my sig... I'll wait but unless you use the letters "Z06" or "Hellcat".... it's not happening.... and by the way my car puts out more than a stock C7 Z06 anyway... and when I open my car up I guarantee you one thing... it sounds like hell unleashed compared to a corvette. I have a buddy who is a GM mechanic who rode in my car the other day took no time at all like 19 seconds or something to get to 160 mph and he lost his mind trying to understand why someone would buy a vette... and he has driven ZR1's and everything.

Until you have driven in a high modded GXP on the road... seen the faces of the mustang(and etc) drivers when you roar by them with full exhaust open... of course your going to get scared reading posts about the tranny.

Don't be afraid.

Spend the money... you have a job... your job is there for this... exactly what you are doing.

Once you have the car and are driving it... it will all make sense.

BTW your GTP can be modded too you don't need a GXP per say...

Last edited by Red_Zone; 09-21-2015 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:06 AM
Staging Lane

here's my question, if I don't floor it off the line, light, or 1/4 mile my car but do appreciate the occasional roll race starting at 40 or 50 MPH, what upgrades should I do if I want to start power adding? the transmission makes me worry to do anything. I agree fully in what was said, there is nothing like a 4 door grand prix blowing the doors off the boss 302, GT500, or even a vette. it hurts feelings and egos and im in the business of hurting egos lol. do I really need all these upgraded hard parts if im not stressing the trans from a dead stop? or should I just look at the usual cooler, shift kit, and programing?
Old 09-25-2015, 09:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

like that way of thinking,i myself bust egos of bmw and infinity guys all night lol
Old 09-25-2015, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

until u go inside trans and harden up there is just a matter of time iv had 3 so far but i got 228K ON MINE
Old 09-25-2015, 09:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by superglide9375
like that way of thinking,i myself bust egos of bmw and infinity guys all night lol
haha those guys are my favorite. I only have 83K on mine and still runs/shifts good but want moray know. im not a fan of the luxury car shifts in my performance sedan. looking at the ZZP kit for a shift kit and a nice big@ss cooler to make sure the trans stays cool. does anyone know if Dave at TEP does warranty work? I bought a 3 year 36k mile bumper to bumper when I bought my car and want to look into a performance "Rebuild" on them.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i went with transgo from tep and cooler from them also and a tune from overkill or lew and u won't have any problems i didn't put the first one in until 137K and the next one which was free from gm at 175 and then i did the slight upgrade and trans cooler and line pressure change on a tune my hits hard and and no laying into gear it just hits and thats how i like it
Old 09-25-2015, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

don't know about warranty work but i would drive like u want and if or when it goes in your 36K then u can start looking around but gm warranty them for 100k but they will look at everything to see if u did tune or went past filter which voids warranty but when i went back i just put wrote the vehicle back to stock and they fixed it
Old 09-25-2015, 12:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by black_betty
here's my question, if I don't floor it off the line, light, or 1/4 mile my car but do appreciate the occasional roll race starting at 40 or 50 MPH, what upgrades should I do if I want to start power adding? the transmission makes me worry to do anything. I agree fully in what was said, there is nothing like a 4 door grand prix blowing the doors off the boss 302, GT500, or even a vette. it hurts feelings and egos and im in the business of hurting egos lol. do I really need all these upgraded hard parts if im not stressing the trans from a dead stop? or should I just look at the usual cooler, shift kit, and programing?
I can tell you I was hard on my stock tranny making 350whp for about 6 months before I had my TEP installed. So in stock form it can last, but I wouldn't recommend running a lot of power through a stock transmission for too long.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can tell you I was hard on my stock tranny making 350whp for about 6 months before I had my TEP installed. So in stock form it can last, but I wouldn't recommend running a lot of power through a stock transmission for too long.
I beat my stock transmission for a long time until it let go at the track. Then went through hell letting local shops build for me nothing but problemsuntil I called Tep. And to add to how good Dave is I recently blew my motor up and it's gonna be down for a while called Dave to how much a check up was and he just pay shipping and will fully tear it down clean and inspect it. Under warranty
Old 09-29-2015, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

i think i got around 20-30k on my tep. i did there normal rebuild with the steeper gear and tune.
havent had any issues with it.

Quick Reply: Question about TEP