LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

LS4 Trans puking ATF

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down LS4 Trans puking ATF

Hey guys, my transmission started slipping last night so i immediately pulled over. I could see and smell ATF drizzling from the bottom of the pan. I limped it to a shop i had access too and lifted the car up. I cannot see exactly where it is coming from but i know it's not the pan or CVs. I removed the plastic cover from the bell housing for the Flexplate and saw that it was leaking from something inside there. Anyone have any idea of what I'm dealing with here? The Trans was slipping from lack of fluid because it shifts perfectly fine when i added more and before it leaks out.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seal between the torque converter and the output shaft if that is where you saw it coming from. Or you got a hole in your torque converter, "unlikely",lol

Regardless the trans has to come out so, labor that's 300-600$ alone. If you have another vehicle to drive in the mean time, might be time to get a TEP Trans built so you don't have to worry about it, i also suggest having TEP Build it. I've seen many people who have the TEP kits sent to a local trans builder only to have to do it 2/3/4/5/6 times due to failures from the "local" trans shop just being a bolt out, bolt in repair shop. Instead of understanding clearances, wear, etc.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your input. I'm starting to hate my car more and more lol.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly when you buy these cars, it should be bought knowing your going to be dropping a few grand on the transmission. Some people get lucky and can get 100+ k on their transmissions but its not realistic. So, at least once you get a transmission built and put in, you literally wont have to worry about it anymore. Having my TEP trans built was the best thing i did for the MC. I bash the hell out of it 100% of the time. I've had it for a year now and shifts as good as it did the day i put it in.

Quick Reply: LS4 Trans puking ATF