LS4 car as a DD?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

07 GXP 220k miles.

3rd trans

2nd engine

Just completely redid the entire suspension and steering (which I feel I got my money's worth out of)

Other than that no complaints and still DD it every day and still puts a smile on my face every time.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:48 PM
Teching In

07 I-SS.

Bought new in 07. Daily driver and road trip car. Deceptively fast, comfortable, lots of room in the trunk. It's a good family car and quite unique set up. I now have 125K relatively care free miles - minus the ubiquitous transmission issues.

Issues (no surprises):
-TC rebuilt at 69K (under warranty)
-Transmission rebuilt last year at 110K

Odd issues:
-Eats through batteries. On the 4th one now - and they are not common ones.
-Alignment very sensitive - of course it usually due to driver error.

Suggestions:
-Tires make a HUGE difference. Do yourself a favor and get a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 2 or 3 Plus tires, you will feel the added traction in all cases.
-Don't modify too much...just a K&N filter if you want and oh, did I mention the Michelin tires . More extreme mods are serious $$$, and the platform is not ideal for such things... but that's just me, I like the factory sleeper thing.

Finally:
I really like my Impala SS. It's comfortable, fast and unique. I plan on keeping it for a while or at least until the new transmission's warranty runs out in (3yr/100K). Don't let the transmission thing worry you though. The car is probably priced accordingly - and keep the savings and a few grand extra in a "transmission savings" bank account just in case.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

06 GXP

Cam turbo meth E85.

Factory motor and trans 130k
Old 07-01-2017, 12:24 AM

My 2008 Buick Lacrosse has 145K. It is my dd and I just replaced the tranny with Dave at TEP. Other than brakes and a wheel hub not any problems to speak off.
Old 07-01-2017, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric Davison
My 2008 Buick Lacrosse has 145K. It is my dd and I just replaced the tranny with Dave at TEP. Other than brakes and a wheel hub not any problems to speak off.
How long have you owned this car?
Old 07-03-2017, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 91parkave
06 GXP

Cam turbo meth E85.

Factory motor and trans 130k
When are we going to see the write up on the cam and turbo?
Old 07-10-2017, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

I own 2 as DD's...bought my girlfriend an 06 ISS with 36k a year ago (just hit 60 today), and my DD is an 06 GXP I bought with 26k 10 months ago (has 43k on it now).

My advice? Tune out DoD immediately (GXP was fine, but Impala was smoking frequently when going from 4 to 8 mode and was burning a quart every 500 miles), add a trans cooler immediately (lowered operating temps over 50 degrees in GXP, ISS doesn't have a gauge), change all your fluids and proceed with caution.

The ISS needed 3 HVAC actuators changed (common), 2 tie rod ends just changed today, a water pump (not so common) and an alternator (quite common). Other than that, its been decent.

The GXP has been a bigger pain in the ***, needing a door lock motor (uncommon), 2 rear calipers (common), HUD replacement (common) alternator (common) and a bunch of niggling small stuff.

In general, they are your normal W Body in terms of reliability IF you tune out DoD and IF you take religious care of the transmission. If not? I wont call them shitboxes, but they aren't great...even my low mileage cars have been problematic.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason E
I own 2 as DD's...bought my girlfriend an 06 ISS with 36k a year ago (just hit 60 today), and my DD is an 06 GXP I bought with 26k 10 months ago (has 43k on it now).

My advice? Tune out DoD immediately (GXP was fine, but Impala was smoking frequently when going from 4 to 8 mode and was burning a quart every 500 miles), add a trans cooler immediately (lowered operating temps over 50 degrees in GXP, ISS doesn't have a gauge), change all your fluids and proceed with caution.

The ISS needed 3 HVAC actuators changed (common), 2 tie rod ends just changed today, a water pump (not so common) and an alternator (quite common). Other than that, its been decent.

The GXP has been a bigger pain in the ***, needing a door lock motor (uncommon), 2 rear calipers (common), HUD replacement (common) alternator (common) and a bunch of niggling small stuff.

In general, they are your normal W Body in terms of reliability IF you tune out DoD and IF you take religious care of the transmission. If not? I wont call them shitboxes, but they aren't great...even my low mileage cars have been problematic.
Low miles cars being problamtic......hmmmm......sounds kind of shitbox-y. Let's face it, GM made a lot of **** for a long time. I can say that. I own four GM vehicles currently because at the end of the day we often end up sticking with what we grew upo with and/or like.

2010 Cadillac CTS Wagon. Beautiful. Has about 14lbs of oil pressure at idle, worst transmission I've ever encountered, can't use the panoramic sunroof because the weatherstrip falls off every third time you do. Shitbox.

2002 Transam. Never gets driven. Have gone through two AC pulleys, car has no miles on it. Fake as S leather seat bolster is showing WAY TOO much noticeable wear. Hood rubbed from the factory. Praying door panels don't crack. Radio cuts out occasionally and the gauges go nuts while this happens. Stock Monsoon. Shitbox.

2000 Silverad. Pretty godam dependable. Tailgate handle and rods havent worked right in 5 years. Rusted to ****. Most dash lights are out. Shitbox. (Not really)

1968 Suburban. Wish the paint was better. Wish it had a tach. Wish AC worked better. **** box.

10-20 year old cars are shitboxes. Trucks have always been ok.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:43 PM
Launching!

lol true story. My Monte quarter panels are rusted in, I wanna get it fixed but idk if I want a g8 or a camaro -_-
Old 07-16-2017, 02:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

bought mine brand new 252k 3rd trans, bust trans ams asses all day long along with chargers and suburb and anything else that pulls up, just did it to red trans am reeled him in like i was fishing,said i had nitrous lol,and like u all my cars have been black, except for 66 cheveile which was green 08 gxp
Old 07-16-2017, 09:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by superglide9375
bought mine brand new 252k 3rd trans, bust trans ams asses all day long along with chargers and suburb and anything else that pulls up, just did it to red trans am reeled him in like i was fishing,said i had nitrous lol,and like u all my cars have been black, except for 66 cheveile which was green 08 gxp
holy lol....3rd tranny?
Old 07-17-2017, 10:36 AM
Launching!

[QUOTE=AnotherWs6;19671353]Let's face it, GM made a lot of **** for a long time. I can say that. I own four GM vehicles currently because at the end of the day we often end up sticking with what we grew upo with and/or like. /QUOTE]

Truth. Agreed, the trucks platform do seem better than the cars.

Coincidence or not, but I have had several of each domestic manufacturer over the last 20 years. GM's always gave me more issues, especially electrical.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:02 PM
Teching In

I'll add my two cents . . . own an '07 GXP ~ 135K on original engine, rebuilt tranny around 110K. I'm the second owner, but first owner was my father, so I have helped with just about every maintenance item other than oil changes.

Obviously the tranny is the Achilles heel. The factory brake rotors don't seem to last very long, but there are plenty of good replacements out there. Car burns oil at about 2 quarts in 5K miles or so, and that's with the DoD deactivated. Wife's GMC truck with 5.3L burns about the same amount, so it's not unique to the LS4. Tires are a bit of a pain because you can't rotate front/back. Mine had the fuel pump replaced and some other stuff while they were chasing the transmission issue, as many mechanics aren't that familiar with the GXP/MC SS models.

I've had a an electrical system failure message that I can't seem to remedy, but the car still operates just fine after a new battery/alternator. Just dealt with a few sensor issues here and there. I just dropped $500 on front suspension to replace the factory Bilsteins.

In summary: it's a fun car as a DD, but the GM vehicles, especially cars, don't seem to age well past 100K or so. Lots of brittle electronics and normal items will need to be replaced (brakes, suspension, alternators, water pumps, belt, coils/plugs/fuel injectors). So, I'd plan on spending around $2K over the first year or two in order to "refresh" many of the wearable items that weren't done for any car at 100K or over.

Quick Reply: LS4 car as a DD?