LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Intake swap by shop

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake swap by shop

Has anyone had a shop perform their intake swap? I am asking because heath prevents me from doing it myself and I want to know how much to budget. Also which would be the best recommended intake since a professional is doing the work (it's a good shop I'm not worried about their experience)? TBSS? F.A.S.T.? LS2? LS6?
Old 03-28-2017, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you just swapping the intake or will the supporting mods be done as well?
Old 03-28-2017, 11:48 PM
Teching In

What supporting mods? I want to do whatever is necessary. I plan on headers, cat-back, trans cooler, shift kit, DOD delete and tune. I already have cold air.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Those are the supporting mods as well as throttle body. You should for sure read over the intake sticky thread as well as the throttle body thread, maybe all sticky threads . I don't have it as my car is stock, but it would not be my first real mod. All of the intakes need modding, some more than others but none are just bolt on. How good the shop is at fabing or modifying will determine cost. You should be asking them for a ballpark before work is started and familiarize yourself with what will need to happen depending on the intake you choose. If money is no option, I would choose a F.A.S.T intake.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:21 AM
Teching In

I thought the FAST intake would not fit?
Old 03-29-2017, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

None of the intakes really fit, all are made to fit. People have used F.A.S.T on these cars, so it will work. Search
Old 03-29-2017, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Any idea on budget?
Old 03-29-2017, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I really have no clue, depends on the intake mods. Reworking power steering on some, cutting alternator brackets, injector hats, intake tubing, modifying OPSU plus all additional parts, throttle body and the rest. A shop charging a left nut wouldn't surprise me.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Thank you! If anyone else has cost ideas please let me know.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:23 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New here and not very experienced on these cars but from what I've read on the mod it is much more involved than just swapping intakes. I think it will be hard to find many general repair shops that will want to get into the type mods it will take to make any of these fit. If it is a specialty shop, say an LS only tuner or a custom fabber, then you may have better luck.
Either way, if you find someone willing to tackle the swap they will be your best estimate source on cost and which manifold they want to use. If they have never done one before then it would probably be a good idea to refer them to some of these forums so they can have an idea of what it will take to make sure they are willing to stay the course and will not just drop the job in the middle of it if the going gets tough. Experience is invaluable, even if it's not your own.
Point is, both you and your mechanic need to know what you are getting into before you start.

Quick Reply: Intake swap by shop