LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Is this right?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 01:17 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is this right?

When the shop deleted my DOD looks like they used an LS7 Valley cover... why did they not attach the little nipple thingy? I see pictures all over google with it attached. Was it left off on purpose or by accident? Should the nipple thing not be threaded in AND blocked off??? Is all that gunk there because **** is coming out the hole? don't want **** spraying all over if its not supposed to. I thought the way my setup is now my front valve cover is vaccum and my back valve cover is venting the crankcase to the top of the intake right? How does my turbo change things under boost?

Name:  ls7valley_1.jpg
Views: 8189
Size:  126.6 KB

Also... ordered a Mighty Mouse Catch can and got these instructions but they don't seem to apply to my LS4 one bit. I mean, I have that valley cover in the instructions but only because I had the DOD deleted but the valve covers aren't right and my rear valve cover vents to the top of the intake... still trying to figure out how exactly I am supposed to hook this stupid thing up to this turbo'd LS4. My front valve cover has a vent too but currently its WIDE OPEN. Should I not CAP THAT and put on a breather on my oil filter cap instead? In these instructions its saying I should run a line from my trubo to the valley cover!?!?!! Problem is a shop did all this and I'm just now taking it apart trying to figure out how this all works and how do I know if they even did it right i.e the valley cover inlet not even attached??

Name:  catch%20can_1.jpg
Views: 8805
Size:  462.8 KB

Last edited by Red_Zone; 04-17-2017 at 01:27 AM.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Connect PCV fresh air from the turbo inlet to the driver (your rear) valve cover.
Connect line to the catch can Inlet from the passenger (your front) valve cover.
Connect line from the PCV valve exit on the catch can to your intake manifold vacuum stock PCV return port.
That's it.
If the valley is leaking then you need to fix that.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:43 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow, yes, your shop left out the barb fitting for the PCV line. That's why you have oily gunk everywhere, you have oily crankcase air spraying out from that hole.

They probably left it out because of the turbo setup. Normally there is a barb there with a line connected to the intake manifold. However, when you have forced induction, you need a check valve to prevent the intake manifold from pressurizing the crankcase under boost. So instead they just left everything open to atmosphere and (hopefully) capped off the intake manifold PCV inlet port.

They should have at least connected that hose barb and valve covers to a vented catch can. Ideally, you would put a check valve on that line and connect it to the intake manifold to help vent the crankcase. Even more ideally, you'd put a catch can on that line to prevent oily air from entering the intake manifold. Then you would connect clean air breather lines from the valve cover to somewhere before the turbo inlet (unpressurized air).

I wouldn't block off the valley cover port. Connect it to the PCV system as mentioned instead.

Is this catch can vented to atmosphere? If so this setup would result in a vacuum leak/false air entering the intake. I'm not familiar with this catch can so I'll let the manufacturer help you out there.

We made a diagram for you of the setup we would recommend. See the image attached.
Attached Thumbnails Is this right?-catchcanfi.png  

Like Us: Facebook - Twitter - Youtube
Old 04-17-2017, 11:45 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the response!

I had sent the car to get the Cartuning Turbo setup installed and as well to have DOD deleted at the same time. When I got the car back here is how the PVC setup was...

1) Driver side(in this case back side for transmounted v8)... the valve cover barb was directly hooked up to the factory PCV port on TOP of the LS4 Intake... I believe this is the STOCK setup for N/A LS4 setups
2) the barb on the passenger(front) side was left UNHOOKED and venting to the atmosphere however the factory stock setup would have this front barb connected to I believe the intake fresh air inlet... the cartuning instruction manual says to disconnect this front cover barb by the way...
3) As I NOW have discovered in order to delete DOD they had to remove the DOD LS4 valley cover and used the LS7 valley cover BUT they left that barb unhooked and venting also to the atmosphere... so now we have TWO spots venting to the atmosphere... the valley cover AND the front valve cover with only the rear valve cover going to the PCV located ON TOP of the LS4 intake.

So I'm not sure if anyone noticed because of my closeup pictures... in both catch can diagrams(one from MM and the other provided by improved...) the valley cover barb is on the intake inlet side. BUT... My valley cover is installed 180 degrees opposite!

Was my valley cover installed the opposite direction on purpose? or not??? I'm wondering... is the valley cover direction OPTIONAL? If so can I just turn it around?

If they installed it the OPPOSITE direction BY DESIGN or ON PURPOSE then (A) could they have left the barb off because if left on the barb would not have fit without hitting the power steering fluid box? or... B) did they accidentally install the valley cover 180 degrees of its normal direction(as per other LS engines) and THUS made a live build time decision to leave the barb off because it wont fit and the didn't realize the valley cover was put on 180 degrees from other LS engines???... or did they just forget to put it on at all by accident?

Man... no way to know I'm going to have to contact them and ask...

but still... can I even buy that barb now after the fact or do I need to buy a whole new valley cover?

Man... can I even buy that barb LOL? Or do I have to buy a whole new valley cover?

Last edited by Red_Zone; 04-17-2017 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

if the valley is leaking plug it. it is not needed. big waste of time and money to replace. just fix the leak.

after that just make sure to follow the manufacturer's directions you posted, and what i posted yesterday, which mirrors what i (manufacturer) emailed you Dec. 15, and it will all be good.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:25 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Red_Zone
Thank you for the response!

I had sent the car to get the Cartuning Turbo setup installed and as well to have DOD deleted at the same time. When I got the car back here is how the PVC setup was...

1) Driver side(in this case back side for transmounted v8)... the valve cover barb was directly hooked up to the factory PCV port on TOP of the LS4 Intake... I believe this is the STOCK setup for N/A LS4 setups
2) the barb on the passenger(front) side was left UNHOOKED and venting to the atmosphere however the factory stock setup would have this front barb connected to I believe the intake fresh air inlet... the cartuning instruction manual says to disconnect this front cover barb by the way...
3) As I NOW have discovered in order to delete DOD they had to remove the DOD LS4 valley cover and used the LS7 valley cover BUT they left that barb unhooked and venting also to the atmosphere... so now we have TWO spots venting to the atmosphere... the valley cover AND the front valve cover with only the rear valve cover going to the PCV located ON TOP of the LS4 intake.
Ok, if that port on top of the intake manifold is the vacuum port (which is has to be), with the other ports disconnected, you should be getting a unmetered air entrance/vacuum leak. Air will be entering through the two other ports (valve cover and valley cover) and then entering into the intake through the valve cover connected to it.

Do you have a MAF, or a speed-density tune? If you have a speed-density tune, you may be okay as they likely tuned this out. If you have a MAF, you'll have unmetered air entering the engine which isn't ideal. How is your idle? If you shift into neutral while driving and let off the gas pedal and coast, does the car hold a high idle?

So I'm not sure if anyone noticed because of my closeup pictures... in both catch can diagrams(one from MM and the other provided by improved...) the valley cover barb is on the intake inlet side. BUT... My valley cover is installed 180 degrees opposite!

Was my valley cover installed the opposite direction on purpose? or not??? I'm wondering... is the valley cover direction OPTIONAL? If so can I just turn it around?

If they installed it the OPPOSITE direction BY DESIGN or ON PURPOSE then (A) could they have left the barb off because if left on the barb would not have fit without hitting the power steering fluid box? or... B) did they accidentally install the valley cover 180 degrees of its normal direction(as per other LS engines) and THUS made a live build time decision to leave the barb off because it wont fit and the didn't realize the valley cover was put on 180 degrees from other LS engines???... or did they just forget to put it on at all by accident?

Man... no way to know I'm going to have to contact them and ask...
On the LS4, the intake manifold is mounted backwards compared to other longitudinally mounted LS engines. So that means the valley cover barb will be on the opposite side of the throttle body. You can't install the valley cover backwards either, as the gasket won't line up. So it's installed correctly, you just need that hose barb.

but still... can I even buy that barb now after the fact or do I need to buy a whole new valley cover?

Man... can I even buy that barb LOL? Or do I have to buy a whole new valley cover?
I don't think you can buy just the hose barb. Maybe you can get one from a junk yard or off a used valley cover or something. You can also buy a new valley cover. Here's a link to the same valley cover you have: http://www.improvedracing.com/engine...471-p-598.html

You could also plug that port and just use the valve cover ports for crankcase ventilation. However that valley cover port is great to use because the valley cover has a built-in oil separator and baffling to prevent oil from getting sucked out, while the valve cover ports will allow more oil to escape and fill up your catch can.

Hope that helps!

Like Us: Facebook - Twitter - Youtube
Old 04-18-2017, 01:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Should the nipple thing not be threaded in AND blocked off??? Is all that gunk there because **** is coming out the hole? don't want **** spraying all over if its not supposed to.

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong part of the picture but to me it looks like a pipe plug is already threaded in where the barb would have been.

>
Old 04-18-2017, 01:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Maybe I'm looking at the wrong part of the picture but to me it looks like a pipe plug is already threaded in where the barb would have been.

>
I think you're right, it does look like it's already plugged. The original poster will have to check and tell us.

Quick Reply: Is this right?