LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

click sound then it cranks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 07:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default click sound then it cranks?

So on start up; I am beginning to get this one "click" sound, then she will crank on the second attempt. What gives?
(1 year old Optima Red Top battery is at 77-80% just Auto Zone tested) (Miles: about 95,000)
What the hell is going on with her??
Old 08-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 07carlocrusader
So on start up; I am beginning to get this one "click" sound, then she will crank on the second attempt. What gives?
(1 year old Optima Red Top battery is at 77-80% just Auto Zone tested) (Miles: about 95,000)
What the hell is going on with her??
Be more specific where the click is coming from... is the click super duper loud like it's coming from the starter motor? Or is it a click much softer...one than the starter motor is not capable of making?

And why is your battery at 77% anyway that makes no sense if you drive it daily.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red_Zone
Be more specific where the click is coming from... is the click super duper loud like it's coming from the starter motor? Or is it a click much softer...one than the starter motor is not capable of making?

And why is your battery at 77% anyway that makes no sense if you drive it daily.
I assume that the click sounds like a typical sound of the starter. I only get this issue a few times and ONLY on an initial start up. Example: If I were to crank it up, it may click once; but eventually fire up on the very second start up. And if I were to shut if right off after that, and immediately crank it again; it will not "click" at all, and start up with no issues! It seems to only do it if she were sitting anywhere for an approximate hour to days.
And its not a daily driver. I may drive it once or twice a week at the most.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:51 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote replace starter motor... it's 11 years old and its showing signs to me that it's on its way out. It's not a super hard job for me because I have the cartuning turbo kit which gives me decent enough room... on a stock setup I imagine you just need to remove your airbox and perhaps your PCM depending on where you have it sitting. Maybe go through the driver side wheel well maybe is another approach.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red_Zone
I vote replace starter motor... it's 11 years old and its showing signs to me that it's on its way out. It's not a super hard job for me because I have the cartuning turbo kit which gives me decent enough room... on a stock setup I imagine you just need to remove your airbox and perhaps your PCM depending on where you have it sitting. Maybe go through the driver side wheel well maybe is another approach.
Yeah, I kind of feared that! LoL!! Thanks, I really appreciate it...