LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

B1516 Battery Current Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 08:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B1516 Battery Current Sensor

2008 Impala SS 5.3 V8 Keep getting code B1516 for battery current sensor. I recently did the BIG 3 upgrade and left all the factory wiring In place and just added new wire. Now I have the code B1516 I couldn't remember before I did the upgrade which side the battery sensor was on so the past few weeks I've been switching It to different sides trying to keep the code from coming back but I've been unsuccessful. Apparently these cars can have one of 2 sensors depending on years and engine, a 5V or a 10V. I measured the wire going to the current sensor and got 5V but It had a sensor for 10V on It. So I ordered a new 5V sensor and ran the two negative cables through It. Code stayed away for about 10 miles then came back. I currently have the new 5V sensor on the negative side with 2 ground cables running through It and the tape tab pointing away from the battery terminal. When I put the new sensor on I originally had the tape tab facing the battery terminal and after letting It Idle with the ac on max I got the Battery Saver Active message but the battery was still charging at 14V so I flipped the sensor the other way and the message hasn't come back but the code Is still present. Im just wondering which side this sensor should be on and which way It should be facing. Please and thank you.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you didn't have the code with the 10v sensor, and you have the code after you replaced it with the 5v sensor why not go back and try the other one? My 08 GXP has the 10v sensor on the negative side.

Amazon Amazon
Old 10-10-2018, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rottonj
If you didn't have the code with the 10v sensor, and you have the code after you replaced it with the 5v sensor why not go back and try the other one? My 08 GXP has the 10v sensor on the negative side.

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-88987...ype=automotive
Yes I had the code with the old 10V sensor and no matter how I mounted It the code wouldn't go away. So I figured It was bad and ordered the correct one. Also looking back at pics I took shows the old sensor on the positive side with the tape tab pointing towards the terminal. So since I switched the new sensor to the positive side with the tape tab pointing towards the terminal the code hasn't come back yet and I've driven about 20 miles and I've let It Idle for awhile with a big load on the system. I'll report back If the code comes back.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Finally got this figured out. Put the new sensor on the positive side and ran all wires though It and have the tape tab facing the battery terminal. I have It taped to the wires real good and the code has not come back.