LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

LS4 Driving me CRAZY!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 08:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS4 Driving me CRAZY!!!!

So the car in question is a 2005 GXP had a random misfire when I bought it. I replaced plugs which looked like the originals, wires, cleaned the throttle body and maf, new air filter. Problem went away for half a drive around the block then came right back. I took all the injectors out and cleaned them (rigged a setup to run carb cleaner through them like fuel via a spare battery I had). put them back no change. I turned my attention to the coil packs, learned that the bank closest to the firewall was not firing at all. I switched the packs around same bank had no change. The next day I start the car it runs fine take it on a test drive and no sooner then the half block mark same crap!!!! Bring it back home pop the hood unplug the coil pack I suspect and the car stops. turns out its the front bank now!!! SO now I am thinking maybe a cam sensor issue, replaced it no change. Then I noticed that crap was coming out of the exhaust, turns out it was honeycomb from the converter. Car had a heavy fuel smell to it but didn't think it would kill the converter. I replace the converter with a ZZP unit, brand new o2 sensors and replace the exhaust piping from a car I found in the junk yard. Still same issue with the car only now it runs sometimes and sometimes wont even start. I swapped the CPU with a unlocked one and no change. Last thing I can think of is the crank sensor after that....... this car may be coming apart to try to get some of my money back out of it. Has a rebuilt trans in it to w/10k miles on it. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Car is 14 years old, seems like you have replaced or tested the usual culprits. Maybe test voltage at the injector connections? All under hood wires become brittle in time and these cars have issues with heat soak. At some point you will need to stop replacing parts and bring it in for service if you can't get in front of it.Good luck, post back your findings.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:49 PM
Teching In

I had a random misfire and I didnt replace what you did, but I tested everything you have replaced. I disabled DOD/AFM and presto vuah lah, no more misfire. Worth a shot atleast, and probably cheaper than everything else you've tried. It definitely cured my misfire issue. Hope this helps.

-Spain
Old 05-29-2020, 10:57 AM
Teching In

Well the car is in parts now. Time to put a listing in the for sale section.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:11 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you going to sell it whole or part it out? Where is the car located?
Old 07-09-2020, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you make sure you don't have a vacuum leak? or air coming in anywhere after the MAF? Does the misfire go away if you run the car with the MAF disconnected?
Oh car is in parts My bad

Last edited by Pauls325; 07-09-2020 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Bad reader

Quick Reply: LS4 Driving me CRAZY!!!!