LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Block Heater

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Block Heater

Hey, all. Does anyone have any experience using a heating element for the engine in cold months? I'm leaning more towards an oil pan heater but I'm open to anything you guys have found that works. Also, I believe the oil pan is aluminum so magnetic heaters might be out of the picture. Is that correct?

The reason I ask is that we have cold winters here. My LS4 has higher mileage and some mornings I get a chatttery lifter. Hoping that a heater will help keep that from happening as I'm planning on driving this car until it dies.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:25 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never used them but there are three different kinds I've seen other than factory. First is of course the magnetic ones. Since our whole engines are aluminum they may not work well on our cars. The second kind goes in a radiator hose. I don't know how they warm the engine unless there is an electric pump that circulates the warm water. The third kind is basically like a water heater element. It takes the place of a freeze plug in the side of the block and since it is in the block it warms the whole engine to an extent but I can't see how it could do much for the radiator.
As far as the lifter tick on start up, I don't know that a heater will do much to quiet them. It is usually the lack of oil, not the temperature, that would make them rattle. My cause was the o-ring on the oil pick-up tube. It had dried up and shrunk enough that it was like trying to drink through a straw with a hole in it. When parking, the engine would drop to idle and it would let the pressure drop enough that the lifters would not be full on start-up.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have thought about this block heater option as well, for my 2008 Pontiac here are the parts required. Most are still available, although nothing in this engine compartment is easily accessed. I have lost enough skin on this car, if the engine comes out thats when I will do it.

https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/e...w/01/mw01-047/

A quicker solution would be to cut the lower hose in the middle and install inline, similar to this but you will have to find one that fits the hose.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have one I purchased for my Comp G as that gets driven more in the winter, I never got around to installing it, there is no pump it just looks like a heating element made by Kats but it should still warm the coolant. Block heater would work better in my opinion. I agree its doubtful it will help much with the lifters .Good luck, post back what you decide.

Quick Reply: Block Heater