LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Oil "consumption" suspicions

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 01:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil "consumption" suspicions

I have installed the TSB recommend oil pan gasket, car seems to ding the oil level warning just as often.
I now suspect it is the PCV systems on the LS4 causing oil "consumption".
But I also suspect the oil level sensor is not acting properly because the float is too heavy.

I dont think its for any other reason, spark plugs dont foul, LS4 eats iridiums like theyre coppers every 50k but eh 300hp and DoD mode, o2 readings are what they should be, cat temp normal, and engine doesnt run hot like its sucking in alot of oil.
No smoke from exhaust except the water vapor in the morning, and I know its water because the top seems of our mufflers have pretty much split open so they condensate inside.

The valve covers are pretty short/close to valvetrain and there are valve covers that have a "fix" they made for the vortec motors.
Two different PCV routes, 1 from front valve cover to center top intake manifold, and a second from rear valve cover to the intake tract, post throttle, pre-mani.
Ive installed a catch can on the front PCV path and after about 300 miles there is about a kitchen measuring cups worth of oil in the catch can.
I plan to add a second catch can on the second path from the rear cover.

When I changed pan gasket I noticed the float was dark oil colored and did not seem very light.
New level sensor on the way with the second catch can.

Anyone else add catch cans to the pcv system?
Anyone tried changing their level sensor?
Anyone know if the truck valve covers that have a shield over the pcv uptake will fit the LS4? Ill make a custom bracket for the ignition coils if need be.
Any thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

Last edited by AndrewGXP; 02-23-2021 at 07:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil "consumption" suspicions