LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2024, 01:37 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default motor mounts

so I was under my car doing some work when I decided it was also a good time to check all of my motor mounts as I can feel the motor moving a bit while driving, I later found that most if not all of my motor mounts look shot. I took it to a professional shop to confirm and they confirmed that all of them are shot and quoted me 4k to replace all of them. so I'm obviously not gonna pay to have that done as I payed 2,400 for this car. I plan on doing them myself and maybe 1 or 2 other friends to help, tips? and could I get away with just a few of the easier mounts as the shop said it's more important that i do the top mount which i already planned on doing and they said to at least replace the front transmission mount. 06 grand prix gxp
Old 01-24-2024, 01:46 PM
Teching In

help finding the proper mounts would be appreciated too
Old 02-11-2024, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did all the mounts last year, that front mount was a real bitch and the rear was only slightly better. Trans mount is easy. If you are not mechanical and don't have a good selection of adapters and swivels leave the job for someone else.
Old 02-13-2024, 04:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rottonj
Did all the mounts last year, that front mount was a real bitch and the rear was only slightly better. Trans mount is easy. If you are not mechanical and don't have a good selection of adapters and swivels leave the job for someone else.
thanks, i ended up getting all but the left side done because i ended up getting the wrong mount. for me that passenger side one was a B*** as the cv axle kept getting in my way of the bolts, front was actually pretty easy as the mount itself was in 2 pieces when i took it off lol. definitely gonna do the driver side soon even though it actually looks fine but I'm not taking the chances on an 18 year old car. now I just need to replace that driver side mount, passenger front control arm, wheel speed sensor, and both the e brake shoes and the car will have "no" issues so im pretty happy with it. strong *** car just the body of it has seen better days
Old 02-14-2024, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

The axle has indents, when rotated the bolts then become accessible. My rear was sagging, now the motor is level again. Front was frustrating, mine was original at 130k and was cracked.
Old 02-14-2024, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you are doing front control arms make sure you order the correct ones, GXP has different sway bar set up requiring control arms without the tab, or if you get the other ones it will need to be removed.
Old 02-16-2024, 11:02 PM
Teching In

yeah I double checked the control arm before ordering it and now I have it just hasent been put in, just waiting for it to warm up outside to do it. better waiting for warmer weather than paying $300 for a shop to do it when i the part itself is $60 and the tools I didn't have already to do it were only $30. I wanna get this car fixed up, these things are so amazing and extremely rare in my area, only gp gxp in my city currently
Old 02-18-2024, 06:15 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by isaacgpgxp
yeah I double checked the control arm before ordering it and now I have it just hasent been put in, just waiting for it to warm up outside to do it. better waiting for warmer weather than paying $300 for a shop to do it when i the part itself is $60 and the tools I didn't have already to do it were only $30. I wanna get this car fixed up, these things are so amazing and extremely rare in my area, only gp gxp in my city currently
Stock motor mounts aren't worth the hassle. We do have a poly option that is far more durable from martin carillo.

Quick Reply: motor mounts