LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Air compressor

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 02:30 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air compressor

Ac clutch doesn't work, still gotta figure out why. But I'm curious as if in case I need to replace it, is there only 2 bolts holding it in? I know I need to get the freon out of the system, disconnect the lines from it, take off the belt, but what about the bolts? from what I've seen there's only 2 at the bottom, 1 of them is towards the bottom and the other is at the right side. is there anything else I'm missing? Because I've noticed that if that's the case, it might just be easier to take the passenger wheel off(the wheel well lining is gone) and take it out from there.
Old 04-29-2024, 02:31 PM
Teching In

Also when I say doesn't work as in it isn't kicking on at all which is why I'm still gonna test out why it doesn't kick in
Old 05-03-2024, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hope you started by checking for a blown fuse. I don't think it will engage if it is low on freon either.
Old 05-03-2024, 10:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

Correct, clutch won’t kick on if low or empty on R134a. Best to charge it with dye and check for leaks first. Compressors don’t die often I’ve only ever replaced one on a 2000 jeep and even then the compressor worked when charged, the hole in the side of it is what landed it in the trash.
Old 05-04-2024, 02:17 PM
Teching In

i still have to do more testing but I'm asking about replacing it in case of the worst. When I first checked it with mechanical guages there was some dye residue on the port, so I don't think it's leaking but this is also still why I'm saying I need to check it over first.
Old 05-09-2024, 11:09 PM
Teching In

so I did some more checking with it. I hooked up an ac machine and found it had a little less than .2 pounds in it, refilled it back to 1.2 pounds and put an ounce of oil in and behold. The clutch still doesn't kick on, yes I know I'm supposed to try to find a leak first but the machine I hooked it up to won't do the cycle if it can't hold a vacuum in the lines. Next time I get time, I'm gonna look to see if it's actually plugged in and see about putting power into it, and yes both the fuse and relay are fine.

Quick Reply: Air compressor