LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Power Steering Hose Failure in Cold?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 03:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Hose Failure in Cold?

This is the third time my Pressure side power steering hose has blown. Pouring fluid onto the ground.

First time was November 23rd (1400 mi) right before a family trip 600 miles out of town. -30F Outside temp

Second time was the January 16th (4300 mi) at -40F

And it just happened to my wife today Febuary 1st (4420) at -30F

I always let the car idle 15-30 minutes before using, and neither the wife or I turn the wheels unless the car is moving. Believe me, after the first two times I was even trying to baby it.

But this is outrageous. If I didn't WORK for the Chevrolet dealership that will be fixing my car tommorow I would be furious.

Do any of you guys own SS's that have to operate in my "extreem" Alaskan Temperatures?
Old 02-02-2006, 01:42 PM
Teching In

I have an 06 SS and I live in Anchorage, I have not had any issues so far, but I drive my truck when it is this cold and slick.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:59 AM
Teching In

Anchorage hasn't seen -20 (or worse) for any longer then a day yet though?

I was down there November 24th, (right after they fixed my hose the first time) Stole the replacement from the other SS on my lot, hehe. after the 6 hour drive in the blizzard it was a blast to drive in the standing two feet of snow.

You shouldn't wuss out and opt for the truck. You're missing all the fun driving.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:09 AM
Staging Lane

What do you mean it has blown? Did it come off the attachment, split, something else?

Do/did you have the clamp attached? Is the fluid freezing? Maybe a little too much water in the fluid?

Sorry, I can't really help, just asking the questions.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PyroGX
Anchorage hasn't seen -20 (or worse) for any longer then a day yet though?

I was down there November 24th, (right after they fixed my hose the first time) Stole the replacement from the other SS on my lot, hehe. after the 6 hour drive in the blizzard it was a blast to drive in the standing two feet of snow.

You shouldn't wuss out and opt for the truck. You're missing all the fun driving.
It's been cold here, but not that cold true. I haven't touched the car for two weeks at least.

When it is slick out it is more fun to drive the truck. 400hp, new tires and people get out of the way.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:38 AM
Teching In

Our power steering hoses make several bends winding around the engine bay. Each span is rubber, with metal elbows clamped on at each corner. When the rubber meets one of these elbows is where it keeps splitting.

We changed to arctic grade fluid the first time it failed.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:05 AM
Teching In

Alright, got the wife her Impala back today, final solution:
Remove cooler hose. Replace with 4 inch U and simply loop back. ala cap the outlets.

I don't approve, but what do I care I lease and it has warrenty. hehe!

Quick Reply: Power Steering Hose Failure in Cold?