LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

GXP vs Monte/Impala SS

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GXP vs Monte/Impala SS

Everyone goes on and on about how the drivetrain is the same between the 3. That the only difference is Tapshift, stabilitrak, suspension etc. But the drivetrain is different. The GXP has a final drive of 2.93.1 and the Monte/Impala have a final drive of 3.29:1. as per http://www.gmcanada.com

Is this a big enough difference to feel? Do the chevys spin more? Launch harder?

What's everyone's opinions on this? Especially those who have driven both.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:45 PM
Teching In

Hello everyone, I just picked up my monte last Thursday, I must say, I LOVE IT. I also have a 99 Vette. The monte is pretty damn close to the vette in terms of power, I am VERY impressed! You hardly have to touch the gas and you can chirp the tires. If you were to floor it, you would give quite the smokeshow! I cant commend on the GXP etc, but the pickup is phenominal!
And for a stock exhaust, it sounds pretty badass, you KNOW it has a V8 under the hood!
Here are a few pics....

Jason
Old 05-14-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Regular

The GP is a more performance oriented car. I believe it has wider front wheels, where the Chevy's do not. I also thing the suspensions are different, which will make a significant contrilbution to wheel spin and torque steer.

Ed
Old 05-14-2006, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sinner
Everyone goes on and on about how the drivetrain is the same between the 3. That the only difference is Tapshift, stabilitrak, suspension etc. But the drivetrain is different. The GXP has a final drive of 2.93.1 and the Monte/Impala have a final drive of 3.29:1. as per http://www.gmcanada.com

Is this a big enough difference to feel? Do the chevys spin more? Launch harder?

What's everyone's opinions on this? Especially those who have driven both.
I haven't driven both, just the GXP. It should be noted that the Chevy twins tires are taller than the GXP (235-50 vs. 255-45), so that may negate some of the difference in final drive ratio.

Chip
Old 05-15-2006, 08:21 AM
Teching In

After reading the C & D road test on the 06 Impala SS I thought they were in error when they said the Impy had 3.29 gears. I checked out the Chevrolet websites (U.S. & Canada) and sure enough they seem to be right. BUT! I took a look at this website http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/dom...page=6&butID=3 with give specs on the 06's and 07's and they say the same ratio as the GXP! Who's right? Can anyone shed some light on this?
Old 05-16-2006, 10:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's correct, the chevy's are 3.29 & GXP is 2.93, final drive ratio....why I have no idea, but my GXP ran better than any SS LS4 to date, stock for stock, need to hold 2nd through the traps in the GXP and it picked up .2 and 2+mph the chevy's shift into third early on whereas the GXP will pull 101+ in 2nd, I used to shift into 3rd right before the finish, trapped 102+ numerous times.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:30 PM
TECH Regular

i trapped same mph as u in my monte, and held 2nd . its my 60foots that suck

Quick Reply: GXP vs Monte/Impala SS