LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Slightly meaner look?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slightly meaner look?

Hi, all. Been lurking for a few weeks and finally got around to registering.

I stumbled across this forum a while back while I was Googling for mods on my new '06 Monte, and while the lack mods for the LS4 is a little disappointing, I've gotten lots of great ideas from you guys. First off, this is where I'm starting from, bone stock:

I'm looking for a little bit meaner GTO-type look without going over the edge - I don't want it to look like a ricer, you know. I started by rebadging it like some others here (removed all badges except the SS on the doors, and put new SS badges on the front grill and centered on the trunk). Subtle changes are remarkably effective. No pics of that yet, but it looks just like the others here.

So I'm thinking about trying this and this together next. The main reason I want the GE kit is for the rear piece that hides the mufflers. I'm not thrilled with the front piece and don't like the "Monte Carlo" across the front air dam, but I definitely don't want to start mixing packages either. I talked to the guy at my body shop of choice and he thinks he can fill it in and paint it where it won't show. I would almost certainly paint the ground effects the same silver color as the factory ones because I think the blue/silver 2-tone is quite striking. At least it was at the dealership.

What do you guys think? Would the ground effects and hood look good together for a mean but slightly conservative look?
Old 10-29-2006, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Your color combo IS nice looking! I think the ground kit and hood will look great, but my suggestion would be to get bigger and or wider wheels/tires...ground kits tend to make wheel/tire stock combos look dinky...
Old 10-30-2006, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

I think the front bumper kit looks like crap...even with the words filled in. I'd stick with stock until something else comes out. The rear is nice, though. You could try contacting Razzi directly to see who sells them piece-by-piece. I am very partial to the OEM look the front end of the MCSS got, so that tends to have a big effect on what i think looks "good" on your car.

"Conservative" is not the word that comes to mind when looking at that hood, by the way
Old 10-30-2006, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
I think the front bumper kit looks like crap...even with the words filled in. I'd stick with stock until something else comes out. The rear is nice, though. You could try contacting Razzi directly to see who sells them piece-by-piece. I am very partial to the OEM look the front end of the MCSS got, so that tends to have a big effect on what i think looks "good" on your car.

"Conservative" is not the word that comes to mind when looking at that hood, by the way
Agree - you have a very clean looking car! I say leave it - save your money for other things. That nose kit looks bolted on, and out of design harmony. The sides scream 90's Sunfire or Cavalier Z24 ... really devalues the appearance (sounds like you're on the fence about installing it on your $30,000 car, right?).

I also agree with the Batmobile comment - I thought the same thing! The stock GTO hood w/ the flared nostrils is much cleaner and "conservative".

Personally, I think the Styling Dept. hit a home run with this refresh.

BTW - I have the Magnaflow system on my car - mufflers are high polish, pipes are very clean - take some of that kit money and invest in the exhaust it you don't like it.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:22 AM
TECH Regular

You can buy them piece by piece from Razzi

http://www.razzi.com/vehicles/chevro...2dr_1184.shtml

I dont think I am going to get that kit either, probably just lower it a bit.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Addict

I've been looking for a Monte bumper/fascia to add to the Imp. Unfortunately, i "watched" one on eBay for too long and someone snatched it from me for $140. It needed some minor repair but i should have acted faster. Sucks being broke.

However, like Kaz said above, the magnaflow is a nice add-on, if you're looking to add a bit of performance. However, the way the tips stick out (on the Imp, when looking from the side) will further the need for a rear valence...you see way too much tip from the side/beneath. Because the Monte exhaust is closer to the center, though, may help the appearance of the tips.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
Ok, well yeah, that's a point.....

I just meant that I don't want to go too far over the line. The car has to be a daily driver, and I'm a rather high profile business professional in my community. I want it to get lots of looks, but not giggles. I'm too old to be doing the Fast & Furious thing with the kids.

I'm way more sold on the hood than I am on the ground kit. Like I said, I'm really not thrilled with the front piece, but I'm afraid to buy just the rear because I definitely don't want a mismatched set. I'd rather do nothing than have that. My (perhaps mistaken) understanding is that when it's released the hood will be designed to work with the CAI setup, so I'm thinking practical performance there as well.

I've pretty much decided to do something with the exhaust too, but there are more options there. I know some folks have just put Flowmaster 40s on, while others have done the whole Magnaflow deal. I haven't really had much time to study exhaust options, but there will definitely be some of that along the way.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LaserBlue
I'm a rather high profile business professional in my community. I want it to get lots of looks, but not giggles. I'm too old to be doing the Fast & Furious thing with the kids
Definitely not these parts then ... it's a "cool" car to take a client out in, should take allot of people (30, 40, 50 somethings) "back to the days" ... keep it on the stock side. The Magnaflow exhaust may even be a little loud for a conservative client, but who cares.

Most of the folks I have in the car are more excited that there's V8's in the cars.