Over oiled air filters

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 09:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Over oiled air filters

Document ID# 1896948
2006 Chevrolet Impala

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Info - Automatic Transmission Shift, Engine Driveability Concerns or Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On as a Result of the Use of an Excessively/Over-Oiled Aftermarket, Reusable Air Filter #04-07-30-013B - (02/01/2007)

Models: 2007 and Prior GM Cars and Light Duty Trucks

2007 and Prior Saturn Models

2003-2007 HUMMER H2

2006-2007 HUMMER H3

2005-2007 Saab 9-7X

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to add models and model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-07-30-013A (Section 07 -- Transmission/Transaxle).

DO THIS
DON'T DO THIS

First, Inspect the vehicle for a reusable aftermarket excessively/over- oiled air filter
DO NOT repair MAF sensors under warranty if concerns result from the use of an excessively/over-oiled aftermarket, reusable air filter.

The use of an excessively/over-oiled aftermarket, reusable air filter may result in:

• Service Engine Soon (SES) light on

• Transmission shift concerns, slipping and damaged clutch(es) or band(s)

• Engine driveability concerns, poor acceleration from a stop, limited engine RPM range

The oil that is used on these air filter elements may be transferred onto the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor causing contamination of the sensor. As a result, the Grams per Second (GPS) signal from the MAF may be low and any or all of the concerns listed above may occur.

When servicing a vehicle with any of these concerns, be sure to check for the presence of an aftermarket reusable, excessively/over- oiled air filter. The MAF, GPS reading should be compared to a like vehicle with an OEM air box and filter under the same driving conditions to verify the concern.

The use of an aftermarket reusable air filter DOES NOT void the vehicle's warranty.

If an aftermarket reusable air filter is used, technicians should inspect the MAF sensor element and the air induction hose for contamination of oil prior to making warranty repairs.

Transmission or engine driveability concerns (related to the MAF sensor being contaminated with oil) that are the result of the use of an aftermarket reusable, excessively/over-oiled air filter are not considered to be warrantable repair items.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Document ID# 1896948
2006 Chevrolet Impala
Old 03-06-2007, 09:32 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks like they're trying to cover their *** for any engine/tranny work...

If I ever need to, I'll just clean the MAF and check the intake tube myself before I bring it in for service, that way everything's nice and squeaky clean...

I've had my 9" cone filter on for about 6-7 months now - and no issues whatsoever, no lights, etc etc. came preoiled and that's all that's on there - I haven't had to clean and re-oil the filter myself yet.

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 03-06-2007, 09:33 AM
Launching!

I assume this is for a K&N filter that goes in the stock air box?
Old 03-06-2007, 09:35 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by nighthand
I assume this is for a K&N filter that goes in the stock air box?
it's for any type of aftermarket filter - either the drop-in replacements for a stock air box, or a cone that goes into a CAI.

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 03-06-2007, 09:47 AM
TECH Addict

I've had to clean my MAF at least once...probably need to do it again (having idle issues). I've never cleaned/reoiled the filter, either.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Launching!

Hmmm, I see.

I am not having issues at this time (knocking on wood), but how would I go about cleaning the MAF if I needed to?
Old 03-06-2007, 10:13 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

you should be able to find a can of MAF Sensor cleaner at your local autoparts store, like Autozone...

Just take off the MAF, and spray it with the cleaner, wait a couple minutes for it dry/flash off, and put it back on.. done.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:14 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
I've had to clean my MAF at least once...probably need to do it again (having idle issues). I've never cleaned/reoiled the filter, either.
Hmmm.. interesting. Guess maybe I'll pick up a can of cleaner to have on hand just in case...

and as soon as it frickin' warms up I'll be able to do something out in my garage!! LOL like try to find out where the hell my passenger-side rattle is coming from that's driving me nuts!!! I know it's around the front of the door or up under the dash somewhere!! LOL

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 03-06-2007 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Lewis,

Maybe your rattle is comming from a loose ODB port with all that loggin your doing

I'm going to have a look at my truck. I've got +30k on it, oiled it around 25k and am not happy with the shifts. It's just acting a bit weird. Have had no issues with the SS but that's a factory oiled filter, so hoping it's Ok.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:26 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by live2ride
Lewis,

Maybe your rattle is comming from a loose ODB port with all that loggin your doing
if it was on the driver's side, I could see it!! it's gotta be something inside the passenger door I think... I can wrap on the arm rest and hear it.

Do they make a spray cleaner for rattles??

-Lew

Quick Reply: Over oiled air filters