LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Rim Job! hahah

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gulfstreamcpt
Hey Corny40;
Just My .02 cents worth, but I wouldn't be all fired up to return the wheels just yet; especially if you like them. I have a set of 20's on my car with the same 5X4.5 bolt pattern as you. I did ALOT, and I mean ALOT, of research b4 I made my purchase and the concern that is being addressed here was on of the big concerns I had. I talked to EVERYBODY in the wheel industry, American Racing (which is the company is got my wheels from), Tire Rack, Custom Wheels.com, Rims and Tires.com, MHT (who do the high price stuff like Foose, Concept Neeper, Driiv, Jesse James, Dub, ect.) and a number of other companies too. Spoke with tech reps from each of these places, and I got the same answer from each. The .3mm that the difference is between the 5X115 to the 5X4.5 is not enough to make problems arise. Most all of the reps told me that if the lug bolts are long enough (which they said the ones we have on out cars are. All that is needed is at least 3-4 threads showing once the wheel is on), that the wheel will tighten on the hub just fine. This is coming form people in the industry that do this all the time. And the excuse that these guys will tell me anything as they are trying to get me to buy their product isn't valid either. All the companies I spoke with I made very clear that I had found a style of wheel I liked and my mind wouldn't be changed unless it was seen as dangerous if I was buying the wrong bolt pattern. And even then, with companies who had 5X115 pattern wheels that they could try to sell me by telling me the 5X4.5 would be dangerous, still said the 5X4.5 would work just fine. This is coming from professionals, and a number of them at that. Getting the same answer time after time, a bit hard to deny. Just wanted you to know the findings I came up with.

You may be right on this but how many of those companies would be willing to put those claims in writing? My guess would be... ZERO.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark IXZD 150
You may be right on this but how many of those companies would be willing to put those claims in writing? My guess would be... ZERO.

Thank you.

That was my whole point. If it was so OKAY to do this, why don't the wheel manufacturers advertise both size bolt patterns as suitable applications? Why would they purposely limit the amount of choices to the buyer. It's not good business sense. Yet, opening yourself up to liability claims is not good business sense either. That's why you won't see these claims in writing.

And one thing you and every single wheel and tire expert can not refute, is the fact that the potential for problems IS there. ($.02)

Quick Reply: Rim Job! hahah