LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Vector Motorsports ECM/TCM

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 06:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vector Motorsports ECM/TCM

Until Silver LS4's post about the heat soak harness, I did not know this company existed. I have been kicking around the idea of a tuner but my skills with one would be very off. The pre programmed ECM may be the way I want to go. The ease of operation for me is key, I dont want to be tooling with the car every day to make it run right or possibly do somthing wrong to foul up the car. My question is does anybody have one of these and if so what gains or driveability issues did you see. And what are the pros vs. cons of this part, opinions welcome.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:46 AM
Launching!

There are 2 companies that offer canned tunes for our LS4 (that I know of anyway). My main problem with going this route is having to send in your PCM to have them program it. It means you lose the use of the car for however long it takes for shipment.

One of the concerns I had was every time I made a change or there was any kind of issue, I would have to send the PCM back to them for reprogramming, which would mean I could not drive the car.

Second thing was every car is slightly different, as was mentioned in other threads.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

I live about an hour away so I drove my car up ther and had Kurt tune it while I was there. The biggest thing I noticed is the feeling of like a turbo lag after the shifts is gone. I have always had great service up there, but I never really talked to Chris, I always end up talking to Kurt, who is the brains of the co. Kurt hired Chris to answer the phone and schedule... I have heard some bad things about Chris. Overall I am impressed with the tune and vector motorsports.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SILVER LS4
I live about an hour away so I drove my car up ther and had Kurt tune it while I was there. The biggest thing I noticed is the feeling of like a turbo lag after the shifts is gone. I have always had great service up there, but I never really talked to Chris, I always end up talking to Kurt, who is the brains of the co. Kurt hired Chris to answer the phone and schedule... I have heard some bad things about Chris. Overall I am impressed with the tune and vector motorsports.
Agreed. Kirk is a good guy, but Chris White has a bad reputation, which would keep me from ever using the company.

NPD, I would look for another company to do the tune for you...there are better ones out there.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:44 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by scalarrthu

NPD, I would look for another company to do the tune for you...there are better ones out there.
Anybody good in the Wilkes Barre/Scranton area?
Old 07-26-2007, 08:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Save the money and get the HP Tuner, and learn how to program your own car. That way you know what has been changed and you always can go back and re change things.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:03 AM
Staging Lane

I wasn't aware you had to send them your ECM, I thought you got a new one and could keep the stocker as a spare. Probably better to get the tuner for myself but I am very unsure of myself when it comes to doing this. What is the difficultly level of tuning my own car without any prior knoledge of doing so.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:25 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

well, you could just buy a new set from them, but it'll cost ya an additional $400 for the new cores... plus, you'll then have to get a Crank Position Relearn performed on it from your dealer, or from someone who has the tool to do it.

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 07-26-2007, 10:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

See if they will send you the programmed ecm/tcm, charge you an additional core, and refund the core charge when you send them your original ecm/tcm.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:21 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

yes, they do have that option listed on their site... I was just going by what he said in his reply post: "I thought you got a new one and could keep the stocker as a spare."

either way - keeing the old ones or not - you'll still have to get the Crank Position Relearn done on the new set... that's why they recommend that you send in your originals - since it wouldn't have to be done on those.

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 07-26-2007, 10:57 AM
TECH Resident

Personally I'd rather run a Diablosport tune than a pre-canned tune from vector...both tunes are sub par because it's not custom...so take the better of two evils and get the diablosport so you can always revert back to stock at will.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:01 AM
TECH Resident

Im still between the 2, but after my wife got me a laptop today, that changed my mind and it was an easy choice, HP Tuners. Now I am just going to need some help from you guys.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:12 AM
TECH Regular

I can try and help. But I am learning at the same time to
Old 07-26-2007, 01:34 PM
12 Second Club

A dyno tune will always be better then any canned tune out there. The down side of a dyno tune or any canned tune is the fact that when the weather changes so does how your car reacts, and when you do additional mods then you need to retune. Now if you can tune via HPTuners then over time you can always adjust your tune, but it could take a while to get it compleatly dialed in your self. I don't consider the Diabalo as a full tuner because you can't change any tranny parameters. I've been in the GP world for 9 years and can tell you the 4t-65E HD tranny is sucky to say the least. And the amounts of Torque reduction in the trannys and the crazy long shift times are rediculous. It's GM's way of putting a band-aid on a broken leg. Once you can tune the tranny side of the house via a dyno tune, canned tune or HPTuners you will see much better results with your car. My vote will always be HPTuners, laptop and lots of time when it comes to tuning the GXP.
Tate
Old 07-26-2007, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

Well, I dont have a laptop and I really dont plan on dragging the car (mabye once or twice to see what she does) I just want some more streetable power which can come from a tune, it dosen't have to be perfect all of the time as this car is my daily driver.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have someone tune it with HPT. This place did a mailorder tune on a 07' TB-SS for a guy i met at the track... it ran 14.7's @ 94 with this tune and it had intake and exhaust. I had scanned it for him and saw that it had 5 degrees timing @ wot total advance. The guy never tweaked the timing over a certain airflow point, and it happend to hit that amount of airflow and it killed all performance. So he got another stock computer since vector locks it, i tuned it in one night at the track and it went from 14.7's to 13.5 @ 103. I thought the guy was gonna give me his first born.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:17 AM
Launching!

I'd give you my first born, but that would be as a punishment....
Old 07-27-2007, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by scalarrthu
Agreed. Kirk is a good guy, but Chris White has a bad reputation, which would keep me from ever using the company.

Care to elaborate there? With the exception of a handful of trolls that got banned from every forum they were on because they acted like 12 year olds I'm sure most people you will ask will agree that I have a stellar reputation. You dont get this far in life doing things the trolls "claim" we do.

I'd appreciate it that unless people have FIRST HAND experiences with us they keep off the band wagon and thier mouth shut. It would eliminate alot of the drama the competitors leg humpers like to start.

Also, Silver LS4 I wasnt "hired" to answer phones LOL I'm Kirks partner the operations manager I also develop alot of the software and new products we use such as the DashHawk, our tuning software ect. Although I do occasionally answer the phones

Last edited by GTPprix; 07-27-2007 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BADDLS1SS
Have someone tune it with HPT. This place did a mailorder tune on a 07' TB-SS for a guy i met at the track... it ran 14.7's @ 94 with this tune and it had intake and exhaust. I had scanned it for him and saw that it had 5 degrees timing @ wot total advance. The guy never tweaked the timing over a certain airflow point, and it happend to hit that amount of airflow and it killed all performance. So he got another stock computer since vector locks it, i tuned it in one night at the track and it went from 14.7's to 13.5 @ 103. I thought the guy was gonna give me his first born.
Unless there was a ton of knock it wasnt our tune, we have way more than 5 degrees of timing. If it WAS somehow one of our tunes why werent we contacted about this? Cant really help anyone or analyze it if we dont know anything about it.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by GTPprix
Care to elaborate there? With the exception of a handful of trolls that got banned from every forum they were on because they acted like 12 year olds I'm sure most people you will ask will agree that I have a stellar reputation. You dont get this far in life doing things the trolls "claim" we do.

I'd appreciate it that unless people have FIRST HAND experiences with us they keep off the band wagon and thier mouth shut. It would eliminate alot of the drama the competitors leg humpers like to start.

Also, Silver LS4 I wasnt "hired" to answer phones LOL I'm Kirks partner the operations manager I also develop alot of the software and new products we use such as the DashHawk, our tuning software ect. Although I do occasionally answer the phones
scalarrthu

Quick Reply: Vector Motorsports ECM/TCM