LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Throttle Body Spacer

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 12:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MonteSS8707
That should answer all your questions. Had to bend a heater hose outta the way slightly, bend the CAI elbow support bracket out slightly, and use about a 3in. piece of 3/8 fuel line to replace a short pcv elbow. Taz i don't remember the part number on the hyperstat i think it was 1028 or 1008. I'll pm you the number when i find the box. Sorry the motor dirty and it was pouring its *** off when i took pics of my car 2day. The southwest IL. weather hasn't been very mild or nice lately. Either raining or snowing every other day it seems.
It looks pretty good man. Anyway, you're from Bellevegas? I'm from waterloo, small world
Old 03-19-2008, 08:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good. Let us know if you gain or lose anything when you get the car tested. Also, Thanks for the shot of the elbow support bracket, as that was what I was looking for. I see that you had to bend it and by adding that spacer, I see the CAI cone is now more forward then before. Looks good.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Regular

I just added the throttle body and it's an AMAZING DIFFERENCE. My car friggin pulls way harder in 2nd gear. I suggest instead of buying the soft 3/8 fuel line. That you buy the 3/8 hard line generic GM replacement kit. I bought mine at Canadian Tire for $12. Its a bitch to put on the pc valve but it looks OEM when you are done. Also bending the heater lines all I did was bend the bracket back and not the lines. You need a torch to heat up the 3/8 line and some thing like a large screw/nail to make the hole bigger as you heat it up. I even think it makes the CAI sit better in the car. When I first installed the CAI it looked a little off in the engine bay no it actually makes it look OEM now.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scarlett
I just added the throttle body and it's an AMAZING DIFFERENCE. My car friggin pulls way harder in 2nd gear.
lol you guys are funny
Old 10-17-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Going to go ahead and make love to a dead corpse by brining this post up, but being the intake is such a horrid pile of aids on these cars, perhaps the gained plenum volume from the increased spacing is really making a gain that these guys are feeling?? Hell if i had the means of machining these id make one thats like 1.5" thick to see what difference it made. I mean that intake neck is litterally cut in half from that of an LS1/6 intake when looking down it.

Perhaps this is why that dude with the Silver MCSS is going almost 108mph traps too after having the intake pro ported?? Its just too much work and mickey mousing to convert this intake over to a normal one...
Old 10-17-2008, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

Now i may be an idiot in saying this, but i saw huge gains in my tbs on the dyno. The wierd thing is mine makes a LOT of noise its whisles very loudly and you can hear it spinning the air. Sounds a lot like a supercharger wine. Now its only at a certain rpm range. I think this is because it is spinning the air and creating suction.
If it does do that and you port it out to match the throttle body, it will lose the grooves and not spin the air anymore, thus making it pointless. Am i correct in this thinking? O and by the way the grooves on mine are pretty big.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sittingmongoose
Now i may be an idiot in saying this, but i saw huge gains in my tbs on the dyno. The wierd thing is mine makes a LOT of noise its whisles very loudly and you can hear it spinning the air. Sounds a lot like a supercharger wine. Now its only at a certain rpm range. I think this is because it is spinning the air and creating suction.
If it does do that and you port it out to match the throttle body, it will lose the grooves and not spin the air anymore, thus making it pointless. Am i correct in this thinking? O and by the way the grooves on mine are pretty big.
Now its been my experience that you will get a whistle during part throttle with these poweraid spacers because the air is creating a venturi effect between the top and bottom of the throttle plate and that high speed air catching on those ribs is creating a whistle noise. Anything over half throttle the whistle will stop. I dont think it "spins" the air so much, you cant make air just rotate like that very easily, esp with them small grooves.

What did you see for #'s then if you saw actual gains on the dyno??? Im certain the increase in plenum volume is what would gain the power, not some twirly marketing gimmic.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Resident

see i was thinking that the swirling is more of a gimick, kinda like the tornado fuel saver. I gained 9 hp and 17 lbs. On a dyno.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Junkie

see i was thinking that the swirling is more of a gimick, kinda like the tornado fuel saver. I gained 9 hp and 17 lbs. On a dyno.
wow....maybe I should get one. I'll take 9 HP.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

the numbers are due to how warm the car is.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Resident

well we made a run on the dyno with out the tbs, then installed it, and that was like a 15 minute cool off than ran again and saw those gains.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:59 PM
Launching!

well we made a run on the dyno with out the tbs, then installed it, and that was like a 15 minute cool off than ran again and saw those gains.

are you serious...with a tbs??? I heard they did nothing!
Old 10-21-2008, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

heh thats more than rockers prolly put-out!
Old 10-21-2008, 03:43 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey Mongoose... do you have pics of it installed on your car??? also, what's the part# of that airraid you used, where'd ya get it??

thx man...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 10-21-2008, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
Hey Mongoose... do you have pics of it installed on your car??? also, what's the part# of that airraid you used, where'd ya get it??

thx man...

In short.....

"PICS or it didn't happen"
Old 10-22-2008, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol OMG I WAS ON A DYNO WITH MY TB SPACER I GOT LIKE 8 HP REDICOLOUS I CAN FEEL IT THREW THE WHOLE POWER BAND ITS LIKE NOS OR SOME **** SERIIOUZLY
give me a break lol youd have to be stupid to pay 200 bucks for which basicly is a giant over rated spacer.

What makes more sence having a shorter air intake or a longer air intake. When you add a "tb spacer" your just adding length to your intake how is this going to increase HP. The original idea was for carbed engiens to allow the fuel and air to mix together before it entered the cylinder. Our cars are fuel injected so there is no fuel mixing before it enters the cylinder. If you need a tb spacer to help your fuel "atomize" then you need to install new injectors.

Last edited by Sint3k; 10-22-2008 at 12:22 AM.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with Badd, while it is possible that changing the geometry of the intake path near the restriction in the intake manifold and speeding/slowing the expected flow, might fool the MAF into leaning it out some (at least temporarily) and gaining power, the added plenum volume might be acting like a lengthened runner and adding torque. Theory says it should choke off your top end, but if the intake is more of a bottleneck than the heads (likely given the 243 heads), you would see a gain everywhere. I am going to be following this one. Might just be my next mod is to add a spacer and ditch the stock valve springs so I could actually rev this thing up high enough to use the heads and all the stock cam.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:34 PM
TECH Resident

i am installing a 180* thermostat in the next few days so i will take a pic than.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=MonteSS8707;8947466]To answer your question taz, the vacuum port that goes to the throttle body will stretch the extra inch and fit fine. You have to slightly bend one of the heater hoses so it doesn't hit that vacuum line. The other vacuum line your refering to will fit as well. Take the rubber elbow deal off and get some 3/8 fuel line about 3in. long. There you go, the vacuum line is extended and plugs into the K&N CAI just like stock. I'll take some pics tomorrow of this and post them tomorrow nite. It was an easy install and i think it was worth it. If i had the money and a place close with a dyno i'd get you guys some numbers.

Would you still have fitting problems if you didn't have a K&N but stil a CAI that didn't change anything beyoud the MAF?
Old 07-20-2009, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

I have one laying around...I may put it on. I just don't want to deal with the whistle noise.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Spacer