LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Tuned and Intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008 | 04:09 PM
12 Second Club

Default Tuned and Intake

Made my way to Nelson Performance today for a dyno tune. Ran the car on the dyno (Superflow WinDyn, runs about 8% lower then a Mustang dyno) a few times and it pulled 194.8WHP @5260 with 230.6WTQ @ 3750. After the tune I was sitting at 203.3WHP @ 5266 and 236.3WTQ @ 3851. He said the factory tune was damn near spot on for some reason on my car and the spark was already at about 28* and a/f ratio was sitting at 11.8-12.3 prior to the tune. I had the 3" DP and drop in K&N filter and maybe they leaned it out.
They took lunch and I installed my K&N Intake while the car sit on the dyno. After lunch he let the car warm up to operating temps again and it pulled a 211.9WHP @5231 and 243.5WTQ @ 3936.
So for a total I got 17.1WHP and 12.9WTQ on the very underrating dyno. After every pull the car would pick up about 1-2 more WHP and WTQ, he said it was the car learning. I will be going back up in about 3 weeks and putting it back on the dyno to see where it ended up at.
Stock vs Tune

Stock vs Tune/Intake

Allen Nelson is one hell of a guy to work with and his employees are very nice and professional also. They are know in the Truck world and LS1/LS2 world and the people to go to and now I know why.
Tate
Old 03-31-2008 | 05:30 PM
TECH Regular

That seems about right. Last year I had my car on a similar dyno only difference is it was 35 degrees outside and the garage was even hotter. I think I was sitting around 236 torque and 247 I think HP. I am getting my car dyno tuned on April 11 so I will see what they come up with. Really weird the car did not need to be changed far as tuning? wonder if mine will be different since I have rockers installed also.

I had the 3" DP and drop in K&N filter
I thought that would make it run richer? I don't think there is many people out there that really know the best way to tune the E67 PCM for our car. I have had a hell of a time in Western Canada finding someone to tune the car.
Old 03-31-2008 | 10:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Is this the CompG or the GXP?
Old 03-31-2008 | 10:19 PM
TECH Regular

Is this the CompG or the GXP?
GXP the wifes car; those points where the peak power is seems a little low also?
Old 04-01-2008 | 05:58 AM
12 Second Club

This is the GXP. Yeah I was thinking that the peak numbers seemed a little low on the power band also, but hey that's where the max was. It seems that I have about 8-9 WHP and WTQ gain all the way through the RPM range with the peaks being what they are. As far as drivability the car is so much nicer with the shift points raised a little and the shift pressure raised a little. I will go back in about 3 weeks and put it on the dyno again (for free) and see what it balanced out as.
Tate
Old 04-01-2008 | 07:50 AM
TECH Addict

Is there not a more accurate Dyno near you?? Those numbers are so far off from what everyone else postes so far.
Old 04-01-2008 | 08:08 AM
12 Second Club

There is a couple of dynos that will read higher (dynojet) around here, but I wasn't into the whole paper racing aspect of it. I can see the gains before and after the tune and intake went on and that was what I was concerned with. Maybe some day I'll make a trip to a dynojet and make a pull. This is more about yes the K&N Intake made about 8.6WHP and 7.2WTQ and the tune gave me 8.5WHP and 5.7WTQ. I'm thinking when I go back in a few weeks the final number will be higher as well once the LTFT's balance out some.
Nelsonperformance.com for the mail tunes. They do great work and are beyond top notch people to work with.
Tate
Old 04-01-2008 | 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

Even at 8% lower than the mustang dyno, that's still less than 220hp baseline...20-30hp less than everyone else.

If the dyno numbers are that far off from the start, your gains with those mods are misleading as well. Especially when you're posting on the internet. Someone is watching and seeing only a 17hp gain with the CAI & tune and their deciding against the mods, when it may have been more like 25-28hp gained.

Anyway, good to see those mods made a difference.