LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

What are you guys doing for brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a link at home...but maybe Rockauto or Autoanything...maybe Summit?? Just google them...i think that' how I found them.

There are other brands available, but usually only for the front OR rear...never both. They changed the front or rear brakes since the 05 Impala, and no one has stepped up for performance pads (and rotors) 'cept Hawk & Akebono
Old 04-03-2008, 09:49 AM
Teching In

ok, thanks. I'm assuming 06-08 brakes are identical?
Old 04-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Teching In

Any thoughts on the R1 rotors? Whether to get the Eline or premium? I'm leaning towards the eline, $105 is hard to beat....
Old 04-03-2008, 11:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just got off the phone with Tony over at R1Concepts, (Im actually getting ready myself to replace my front rotors, dealer already cut them once for warping under warrenty) and he gave me a price for a package on the E-Line front and rear with pads for $358.12 shipped, also gave me a price on the Premium front and rear w/pads for $428.12 shipped. I think thats a prety good price and will be going with the Premium set unless I hear otherwise on quality/performance. Ill be placing my order in the next month or so. By the way that is for drilled and slotted.

Last edited by 06WHITEMCSS; 04-03-2008 at 11:26 AM. Reason: forgot drilled and slotted!!!!
Old 04-03-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

as per the gxp, the slotted rotors are kind of a gimmick. allegedly its for cooling? well solid metal dissipates heat just as well if not better than metal with holes in it. i think if i replace them, it will be with standard rotors. the stock pads on the car really create the dust (mostly only on the front) so what many have been doing is replacing them with ac delco ceramics and the braking power doesnt change, but you dont have to clean them every other day.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

Giddyup...the 06-08 brakes are the same. As for Premium vs. eLine...you need to decide if the second set of drilled holes and black electro-coating on the rotor is worth the money. I'm leaning towards the premium if I can get a better deal on them over the phone

Originally Posted by 06WHITEMCSS
I just got off the phone with Tony over at R1Concepts, (Im actually getting ready myself to replace my front rotors, dealer already cut them once for warping under warrenty) and he gave me a price for a package on the E-Line front and rear with pads for $358.12 shipped, also gave me a price on the Premium front and rear w/pads for $428.12 shipped. I think thats a prety good price and will be going with the Premium set unless I hear otherwise on quality/performance. Ill be placing my order in the next month or so. By the way that is for drilled and slotted.
Well, White, keep in mind you're buying THEIR pads and paying for them. It's not much of a deal at all, imo.

I priced their rotor sets online (multiple times over the last year) and I can get the eLine shipped to my house for $245, and buy the Hawk or Akebono pads for $130 more elsewhere. The premium rotor set is just under $350 shipped.

I think I'll still call about the rotors, but I'm gonna pass on their pads. If they can get the Premium rotors closer to $300 for me, I'll buy them then and there. Gotta wait for some recent deposits to clear the account, but once they do, I'll make the call.

BTW...I was told to ask for Sam...so I'll ask for both
Old 04-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Teching In

Well I just ordered the front eline rotors for $143 shipped and found the akebono pads on tire rack for $59 shipped. Not doing anything with the rears just yet. My fronts are the warped ones, giving me the vibration
Old 04-03-2008, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deft
as per the gxp, the slotted rotors are kind of a gimmick. allegedly its for cooling? well solid metal dissipates heat just as well if not better than metal with holes in it. i think if i replace them, it will be with standard rotors. the stock pads on the car really create the dust (mostly only on the front) so what many have been doing is replacing them with ac delco ceramics and the braking power doesnt change, but you dont have to clean them every other day.
I have R1Concepts and your right it is a gimmick but because the holes create surface area in its own its still the same amount of heat dissipating area. But i purchased them for the looks. Also a thing to note drilled rotors tend to crack under high pressure there not recommended for track use only slotted rotors are that tells you something. But as ive said on other post i've been 100 times harder on these brakes and there not showing signs of warping.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey Buff I was also givin a price on just the rotors, Premium are $305 plus shipping, so your about right on with your price shipped..I have yet to determine what pads to go with. Im not sure bout there pads, but I don't want a set that dusts horribly but then again I don't want a set that is so hard that ruins the rotors befor the pads were out.. I have in the past used drilled and slotted on my STS along with ceramic pads, that seemed to work ok. I don't know!! there pads are $80 for both front and rear, if that matters? Let me know what you end up useing for pads.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

White...he quoted you the advertised internet price...so calling isn't getting you anywhere, discount wise. This is disappointing. Thought they're just lowering the price for the helluvit and they're not. Guess ima hafta gowit da eLine.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

I only called cuz they didn't list my 06 MCSS on line, or atleast I didn't see it listed.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Pads and rotors...

I just got Powerstop ceramic pads for $90 from them direct and I'm ordering rotors from Powerslut (Powerslot, figured I'd keep with Tazs comment). They have to be custom made, but I'm thinkin' no more than $330 to $400 for all 4. I'm gettin' them slotted not drilled.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Launching!

Just a quick update on this, I ended up going with the AC Delco drilled and slotted rotors front and rear, as well as AC Delco ceramic pads. I had to get 02 Impala rear rotors, seeing as the catalog didn't list performance rear rotors for an 06 Impala, but they didn't change the rotor design from 02 to 06, just changed part numbers I guess. So far they seem to stop excellent, hopefully they won't warp for a while.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

Are you SURE they're identical? I can't imagine that every brake company out there has failed to look at an '06 against an '05 and compare the two. Someone said the hat of the rotor was different or something? Maybe depts and how it works with the eBrake?
Old 04-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Launching!

They sure seem the same to me, before i put them on I compared to two, and they were idtenical except the 02 rotors don't have the allen screw that holds the bottom of the rotor on. Other than than, the e-brake works, and everything else seems fine.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I want a big brake conversation i want something crazy like 15 inch rotors :X
Old 04-09-2008, 09:19 PM
Launching!

Me too, shoot, even if I could make the front brake setup work on the rear I'd be happy. I'm not sure how the MCSS's are, but these things have too much nosedive during braking. Perhaps the dual piston calipers and vented rotors in the rear would help that?
Old 04-09-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

theres a sensor on the monte carlo that detects the ride level the rear of the car and adjust break pressure to the rear wonder if theres a way to change it :-\
Old 04-10-2008, 08:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98Jeep360Limited
They sure seem the same to me, before i put them on I compared to two, and they were idtenical except the 02 rotors don't have the allen screw that holds the bottom of the rotor on. Other than than, the e-brake works, and everything else seems fine.
No chit!?!?! All this time I've been holding off, waiting for something better than R1's and the like, and they're actually the same?!?!? That is odd. I'm going to have to find which person (R1concepts, i believe) said they're different.

And on that note, that still does not explain the reasoning why there are no brake products for the rear through bigger name brands like there are for '05>

Well, if that's the case...what did the rotors run ya?

Last edited by BuffaloSS; 04-10-2008 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:36 PM
Launching!

I work for a dealer, so I got the rotors at wholesale. The rotors were around $75 each, and the ceramic pads were $90 I believe. I know it's kinda pricey, but I think it was well worth it so far.

Quick Reply: What are you guys doing for brakes?