LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

"HOWL" from engine bay on cold startup

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008 | 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

Default "HOWL" from engine bay on cold startup

For the last month I have been hearing an annoying howl coming from the engine bay when I start it after a long, cold evening. It lasts for 3-4 seconds. Unfortunately, no one else is up when I start the car in the AM, so I can't get someone to start it while the hood is open (unless someone knows where the "hood open" sensor is so that I can disable it.

On my 4.0L Explorer, I had a similar issue and it turned out to be the Idle Air Control valve (IAC). It was dirty and getting stuck partially open or something like that, causing the howling until it opened or closed fully.

Anyone have any similar issue? Any idea where the IAC is on this car? In the explorer, it was bolted to the TB. Haven't looked for it yet on the SS, though. I figure I'll try to fix this rather than complaining to the dealer, who would likely say the K&N caused it to fail.
Old 04-02-2008 | 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

Do you still have your stock air box? Put that one and then see if the noise is there. If it is, then you can take it to the dealer and they cant give you **** about the K&N