LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Yearly paint maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Yearly paint maintenance

Someone tell me if i'm doing anything wrong.

First wash the car and dry with chamois.

Also i'm going to wash some parts of my car with Distilled vinegar to remove some hard to remove waterspots and then probably wash it again.

Then wash with a detailing spray to remove any waterspots.

Then use a Prewax cleaner to remove old wax , stuck on dirt , more waterspots.

Then use a detailing Clay to get the stuff deep in the paint.

This is kinda where i'm confused do i need to use a prewax cleaner again ? Do i need to wash the car again to wax it ? or use a detailing spray and then wax ???
Then use prewax cleaner again to remove any left over clay.

Then use wax and or sealant ?

To much **** to keep paint looking good.

Please skip the steps of polishing and buffing with orbiters or anything as long as all the contaminates are removed i can live with light swirl marks and what not knowing my clear coat will be there another day for buffing.

Last edited by Sint3k; 05-10-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:25 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

after claying, you need to use a polish...

then after polish, you need to use a wax to seal it...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 05-10-2008, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, I just wash the car and then every other week I put on the NXT stuff from Meguires.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Taz34SS
Honestly, I just wash the car and then every other week I put on the NXT stuff from Meguires.
Thats normally all i do too but i have a few water spots that are stuck in the paint and if you run your hands over your paint after your done cleaning you can feel everything stuck in the paint so when waxing those can break loose and start scratching your paint.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try a clay bar and see if you can get them out.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Wash with Dawn
2. Claybar
3. Wax/Seal
Old 05-11-2008, 07:56 PM
Launching!

Not to highjack the thread, but all Montes check the paint under your spoiler, eve if you have to take it off. I saw a small spot of chiped paint next to the third brake light. Took the spoier off turned out there were a few places that were ate up pretty well. Going to the dealer soon to get it fixed under warranty. Kinda pissed since I never close the trunk by pressing on the spoiler.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigboy3l
Not to highjack the thread, but all Montes check the paint under your spoiler, eve if you have to take it off. I saw a small spot of chiped paint next to the third brake light. Took the spoier off turned out there were a few places that were ate up pretty well. Going to the dealer soon to get it fixed under warranty. Kinda pissed since I never close the trunk by pressing on the spoiler.
Guess i'll be checking that tomorrow.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:12 AM
Launching!

exactly what nacho said
Old 05-12-2008, 03:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by cherrygxp
exactly what nacho said
He was complicating things....I thought I would spell it out clearly.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Wash

Clay

Wash
Polish
Wax

All with Zainos Products
Old 05-12-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Junkie

^ Thats a lot of dough spent on Zaino right there.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Yea but when you want to protect your vehicle get the best.

Last edited by Mels SS; 05-13-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Per the Tropicare website.

EXTERIOR APPLICATION

Suggested Products
Clay Magic® Kit
Premium Tire & Wheel Cleaner
Natural Big Orange
Swirl Cutter™
Sealant xP
Plastic Cleaner/Polish
Premium Car Wash
Tire and Rubber Dressing
Tropi Care Metal Polish

Suggested Microfiber/Foam
Microfiber or “Ulti-Mit” Foam Wash Mitt
Waffle Weave Drying Towel
Applicator Pad-Oval Blue foam or 4” round blue foam
“Super Plush” Polish Towel
4” round Tire Dress Applicator
Gray Plush Microfiber Detail Towel
Gray Orbital Polish Bonnet

SURFACE PREPARATION

Wash surface with Tropi Care Premium Car Wash to remove heavy dirt and soil. Rinse surface clean. Use Clay Magic® bar to remove all surface contaminants prior to initial application or as needed. Wipe the surface with a 50/50 solution of isopropyl alcohol and distilled water, Prepsol®, or Acryli-Clean® to remove any remaining residue prior to the Tropi Care product application. Tropi Care TC-3 Sealant xP works best on clean, wax-free surfaces. For future washes, use Premium Car Wash with Wash Mitt.
Clean wheels and tires with Premium Wheel & Tire Cleaner, rinse thoroughly. For use polished aluminum or chrome wheels, regular car wash concentrate and water is sufficient to clean these surfaces. Dry with Waffle Weave drying towel for worry free drying. We recommend using Tropi Care Metal Polish to make those aluminum wheels sparkle after washing.

HELPFUL HINT: Use Natural Big Orange to remove bug and adhesive residue, tar and grease from the paint surface.
We recommend the use TC-8 Swirl Cutter to reduce swirl marks and fine scratches. It may be either applied by hand or machine. For hand use, apply the product using a moistened blue foam polish applicator thoroughly working into the surface until completely broken down. Wipe off remaining residue. Repeat as necessary. When using the Swirl Cutter with the Porter Cable buffer equipped with the Lake Country Mfg. CCS orange or white foam pad, set your dial between speed 4 and 5. Move in a slow and smooth motion across the surface at the rate of about 1” inch/second. For additional information, refer to our Safety Tips Sheet for Porter Cable/UDM Buffers listed on the site. This action will allow the buffer to sufficiently break down the product into the paint surface. Work the product until very little residue remains or disappears. Several passes with the buffer may be necessary for desired results. This micro-abrasive product produces safe, effective results and prepares the surface for the polish. Use detail spray to remove remaining residue.

POLISH APPLICATION & REMOVAL
Apply Tropi Care TC-3 Sealant xP with dampened applicator pad by hand or with random orbital buffer using a soft blue foam pad to wax-free painted and/or metal surfaces. Quick drying/curing formula allows you to apply a second application to insure even coverage. For initial application or after using Clay Bar we suggest applying 2-3 applications.
Remove hazed residue with the blue “Super Plush” polish towel or gray orbital polish bonnet over the orange foam pad on your buffer. Allow 1 hour in between additional polish applications. Use the Detail Spray for light clean ups of after washing to help extend the surface protection. Future polish applications will apply and remove even easier. Use Polish on your wheels to help reduce brake dust build-up.
Allow longer drying time in humid or cooler weather.

FINAL EXTERIOR DETAILS

Use the TC-9 glass cleaner with clean woven glass cleaning or microfiber detail towel to ensure streak-free windows.
Apply TC-15 tire and rubber dressing for that finishing touch using our 4” round tire dress applicator.
Use TC-12 Plastic Cleaner/Polish on headlights, tail lights, and other exterior clear plastic surfaces to remove ultra-fine scratches and dulling haze. Hand or machine use.
================================================

Tropi Care Expanded Instructions for the Clay Bar and TC-3 Sealant xP

IMPORTANT: The TC-3 Sealant xP works best on a clean, wax-FREE paint surface. Carnauba wax may be used as an extra measure of protection and depth AFTER the TC-3 Sealant xP application.

Clay Magic® Clay Bar Kit
The use of the clay bar is an optional but strongly suggested step in the process to protect your paint finish. It safely removes all types of surface contamination including water spots, tree sap, bugs, tar, paint over spray, old wax, rail dust, and industrial fallout. You will notice how smooth your paint surface becomes as it removes these rough particles from the finish. You will be able to use it to clean the exterior glass and your wheels as well. After washing the heavy dirt from the vehicle and rinsing thoroughly, use the supplied clay bar lube solution or a 16- spray bottle of water with a capful of wash concentrate and water for best results. Spray the lube or soapy solution on a 2’ x 2’ section to be clayed. Break the clay bar into 2 pieces and save the other piece just in case should you drop the first piece on the ground. Mold the piece into a circular patty and gently slide the clay bar across the lubricated surface until it feels smooth. Do NOT allow the surface to dry out. As the bar becomes darkened with the surface contaminants, simply stretch, fold and reshape the bar to expose a clean surface. Periodically check the Clay Bar for heavy dirt particles. Repeat process until the entire surface is completed. Do NOT re-use the bar if dropped on the ground. Discard bar after no clean surfaces are visible. After completion, Re-wash/rinse the entire surface and dry with a clean microfiber waffle-weave drying towel.

Tropi Care TC-3 Sealant xP
Prior to application of the polish/sealant, it may be necessary to remove swirl or fine surface scratches with the TC-8 Swirl Cutter. This may be done by hand as well as truly effective results wait with the use of a dual-action random orbital buffer or rotary polisher. Now you are ready to protect and seal your clean, smooth paint finish. For hand applications, apply using a MOIST foam applicator pad to apply a thin even coating on the paint surface. A dime surfaced portion will be sufficient to treat 3’ x 3’ area. Allow to dry at least 30 minutes. To test before removal, lightly wipe your finger across the hazed surface. If it comes off clean and clear, you’re ready to remove the residue. If not, allow a little more drying time. Remove the hazed residue with a clean cotton or microfiber polishing cloth. For machine users, apply product evenly using a black or blue “final finishing” foam pad. Remove using a microfiber polishing bonnet applied over the orange foam pad on your machine. Follow up using the TC-5 Detail Spray after removing the polish residue. This will make the paint even slicker and have an even higher gloss. A unique feature of the TC-3 protection is evident during the washing and drying phase. You will notice how the water will repel from the surface after the washing and rinsing. This protective action is known as hydrophobia. With this action, less water spotting will take place on the surface. A second application may be done to insure even coverage. Re-apply TC-3 when the water no longer repels or beads on the surface. To maintain your great finish, use both the TC-6 Car Wash and TC-5 Detail Spray.

We recommend the use of microfiber towels and applicators when using Tropi Care products. They are all machine-washable and will not your scratch the paint surface. Care instructions are included with our microfiber items.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
He was complicating things....I thought I would spell it out clearly.
I tend to do that :\
Old 05-13-2008, 11:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sint3k
I tend to do that :\
I though you were bad until....morpheus posted in here. Holy crap thats a lot og info there....
Old 05-14-2008, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats part of the reason why i made it so difficult **** like that is all over the net.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:27 AM
Staging Lane

Tried Mel's suggested products over the weekend and got some stunning results. Took 3 sets of photos: After washing with Dawn soap to strip wax; After claying and washing with Z7; After several meticulous coats of Z5, Z2, and Z6. The claying was what really took me by surprise - the shine was immediately noticeable. Today: My right hand won't open and my arm feels like it's going to fall off.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I bet the cars look amazing afterwards but man how many hours does all of that take? I'd say easily 4 - 8 hours... Gee, my wife would have a coronary; I can't even get out of the house for 10 minutes sometimes. lol....

-Mike
Old 03-16-2009, 10:35 AM
Staging Lane

I started yesterday at 12:30pm and took the last picture at 4pm.