LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Winter Driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 07:59 AM
WANNABE GENIUS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Driving

So I intend on buying an 06-07 Monte SS in a couple of months. As much as I cant wait to get my hands on one I do have to confess that it will be my daily driver and my Camaro SS will be garage kept through winter. So let me know impala or monte owners how good they are on the snowy roads? I live in northern Illinois. keep in mind that winters arent too horrible around here.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Uugghh - we just got through this winter and now you want to talk about it???

J/K - we had over 93" (Michigan), no problems on 50K Goodyear GSA's. I just had to drive slow, it's not a 4x4. Most econoboxes were able to pass me accelerating.

FYI - if I drove my Z28SS and then went to the MCSS, the MCSS IMO felt better all around. You'll lose in the handling; acceleration and braking categories, but I think you will like the car.

Where I'm at I never can use the power of the Z because of congestion, and after that it would be the Police.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:44 AM
WANNABE GENIUS

I had a mid 90s grand prix and that thing was impossible to lose control of. So I figured the FWD might make it a good winter driver
Old 05-29-2008, 08:49 AM
TECH Addict

I burn through tires pretty fast, and the RSA's (which suck as they are for all weather driving) handled OK the first winter when they were only a couple months and couple thousand miles old. They didn't make it to the second winter. I bought snows for front & rear and they were great.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

My RSA's did pretty well for what they are the first winter. That being said, I also do very little driving in the snow(I work 3 blocks from my house). If I had alot of driving that I HAD to do in the snow I would definately invest in a set of snows. But since I don't I'll just stick with these through next winter too. You'll be fine with the MCSS, especially if you pick up a set of snow. If Buff can make it through a Buffalo winter that's probably just wrapping up now you should be fine if your winters aren't too bad there.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Hey now....the 20's were put on over a month ago, and we haven't seen snow since one week before that! However, we haven't had much heat, either...so take it for what it's worth.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

I think the GXP is pretty solid in the snow, especially considering the larger front tires which tend to float on the snow.

I live in your "area" but we probably get much better plow coverage being in the city.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

I live near Aurora and have a MCSS, drove it last winter with no troubles, youll be just fine.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

I slid like hell, but I'm pretty sure it's because those rs/a tires are junk for snow. If I had some all seasons or blizzaks it would do better. I didn't get stuck and live in Fargo, ND if that means anything.

I locked it up stopping at a light and the t/c and abs systems said to service it soon. If its -20 stuff doesnt work right. My nitrogen filled tires... low air pressure warning stays on all winter just about. Quite annoying to cancel it everytime.

Last edited by neilownz; 05-30-2008 at 01:32 AM.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the goodyear Eagle F1-A/S tires. Drove those all winter long with no problems on Ice or Deep snow.

I might know of a Monte SS being sold from a friend. Low miles. PM Me for details.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by EmersonHart13
I think the GXP is pretty solid in the snow, especially considering the larger front tires which tend to float on the snow.

I live in your "area" but we probably get much better plow coverage being in the city.
I hope so