LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

quick valve adjustment question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
that you should bump the motor, get the cam on the base circle, slowly turn down the lock nut, find "zero lash", then go the 1/8 turn, repeat for the other 7 cylinders.... OBVIOUSLY, he'd never worked in the spacious engine compartment of a 4th gen F-bod.....
yeah... I hear ya on that. Although, if you get yourself a simple push button switch and rig it between the starter and the battery and disconnect your ignition its super easy to bump the motor around as needed vs. turning the motor manually. I just hate leaning over the engine bay for the time it takes to adjust these puppies.

CamaroCorey :
I couldn't really tell much from the videos. Sounds like you got enough advice but for the sake of pitching in, I would lean more towards starting from scratch on the adjustments everytime. Simply since you cant really know how much something has possibly loosened compared to the rest and this way you get them all to the exact same setting. I was encouraged to set it to 1/8 turn past zero from a trusted mechanic. I agree with someone that said above though, its a little tough gauging 1/8 turn. hehe...

You guys suck... now that I'm thinking about all this I think mine need to be rechecked. grrr...
Old 11-08-2008, 03:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Well in my case they are stock lifters. I was hung over yesterday, so I did what hung over people do. I didn't work on it but took video instead. I don't think they are really loose by any means, I suppose the video might have captured how its running.
Walkaround and it running at idle.

Then I tried to capture how it sounds while driving around, but mostly all you can hear is the gears screaming the whole time. If you let the video load and skip to the last minute and a half I have the hood open and I think it maybe a exhaust leak at the collectors, not sure. Driving around.
Thats how mine sounds...None of my rockers are loose at all so its probaly not enough preload just my guess.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Does anyone adjust theirs when the motor is running? Ever since I got my new valve train it's been pretty loud..I've gone back in and readjusted them 0 lash then 1/2 turn. Its only the driver side too... sorry to hijack, just quick question and i'm done! haha.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've never done it running. I get flashbacks of a buddy's experience getting oil everywhere and lighting a rag on fire from it touching the exhaust. hahaha... funny now but yeah, not so funny when it happened.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Haha, I can understand that.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lt1z28camaro
Does anyone adjust theirs when the motor is running? Ever since I got my new valve train it's been pretty loud..I've gone back in and readjusted them 0 lash then 1/2 turn. Its only the driver side too... sorry to hijack, just quick question and i'm done! haha.
Yes I've done it that way a couple times but I prefer not to just because of all the oil squirting everywhere.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I decided to do it with the motor running, it is alot quieter now you can hear the ones that are making alot of noise that way. Figured I'd give it a shot.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been doing them "running" since the 70s. Yeah the oil can get messy, but I used to have a set of valve covers with the tops cut off, to try and control it. However, that wasn't within the "spacious confines of a 4th gen's engine compartment". But, the good thein, is that an LT-1 with the stock oil pump doesn't squirt as much oil out the pushrods as the old SBCs and Pontiacs I used to own.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:21 PM
11 Second Club

I decided to do it with the motor running, it is alot quieter now you can hear the ones that are making alot of noise that way. Figured I'd give it a shot.
how much preload did you put on them? Curious because I need to quiet these Pro-Mags down.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I ended up just going back and re adjusting them to spec. I've been told 1/8th turn is all you want?.. I think I ended giving too much preload when it was running I just tightened what sounded like it was making sound, so different amount to different ones. I don't think pro mags will ever be silent. I'm going to completely gut out the valve covers too, cuz even with that side cut I think I'm still hitting somewhere. Hopefully that'll help some.. Good luck, sorry I wasn't much help!
Old 11-17-2008, 03:49 PM
11 Second Club

I ended up just going back and re adjusting them to spec. I've been told 1/8th turn is all you want?.. I think I ended giving too much preload when it was running I just tightened what sounded like it was making sound, so different amount to different ones. I don't think pro mags will ever be silent. I'm going to completely gut out the valve covers too, cuz even with that side cut I think I'm still hitting somewhere. Hopefully that'll help some.. Good luck, sorry I wasn't much help!
Yeah Lloyd told me 1/8"-1/4" so thats what I did but its just so damn loud and I had different 1.6RR's on there before that were nothing compared to these.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, I've been told to get some lt4 valve covers to try to quiet the noise down.. Other than that, I think I'm just going to have to get used to the extra noise...just gonna have to run the open cutout more often I suppose. if you get them quiet and the valves are still opening and closing properly let me know! haha.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:22 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah, I've been told to get some lt4 valve covers to try to quiet the noise down.. Other than that, I think I'm just going to have to get used to the extra noise...just gonna have to run the open cutout more often I suppose. if you get them quiet and the valves are still opening and closing properly let me know! haha.
Same here I picked up some thick aluminum covers to keep the noise in but haven't installed them yet because I have to cut and splice some new plug wires but hopefully they will work. If I get it figured out I'll definetly let you know.

Quick Reply: quick valve adjustment question