LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Best way to ckeck opti while on engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to ckeck opti while on engine?

What's the best way to check it to be a %100 sure it's bad before tearing the whole front section off to get to it.
I just don't want to end up replacing it and find out it wasn't the problem. It's MSD vented on a 96 LT1.
Thanks guys.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:54 PM
11 Second Club

If you try to turn it over and flames shoot out the TB ... it's probably the opti.
(at least, that's what happened to me)

What is your car doing/not doing?
Old 11-21-2008, 02:12 PM
Staging Lane

Well, car all of the sudden didn't start (After beating it real bad on the highway, I parked beside the house and the next thing I know it's not starting). Anyway, I hooked a scanner and pulled code P0122 which is the TPS. Replaced that, started right away but now it went back to the same exact problem, it won't start and if you push start it it'll start but hen you push the gas (In Nuetral) you'll feel something is wrong as it hesitates real bad, it doesn't give you a smooth long rev but it'll cut in the middle few times.

Sounds like opti to me however when replaced that TPS it started right away and now I'm bacl to the same point. Could that TPS be just a co incident?
Old 11-21-2008, 02:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MySuperSportCamaro
Sounds like opti to me however when replaced that TPS it started right away and now I'm bacl to the same point. Could that TPS be just a co incident?
Could be whatever caused the TPS to go bad (or appear to be bad)
Did you check the wiring?
Old 11-21-2008, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by James Montigny
Could be whatever caused the TPS to go bad (or appear to be bad)
Did you check the wiring?
Good point, what causes the TPS to go bad, I don't think it's the wires to it but I'll check into that as well. I replaced the TPS with a used TPS by the way but I doubt having two bad ones unless merphy is my biological dad.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:47 AM

I would also like to see if there is a sure-fire way to check the opti before pulling out the radiator and such. I'm experiencing a similar problem. I've got a SES light on and it's giving the same code. I can start it, but can't drive it over 2000 RPM. It loses all power at that speed. Check to see if you have a 5 volt reference on your MAP and TPS. If that voltage is gone, there's something else wrong. I don't know what it is yet, I've racked my brain trying to figure it out. Do you know what your spark advance looked like before it died? Mine is about -30 degrees at idle. We may have the same issue. MJD
Old 11-29-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Veteran

i always found a good way to check if you get po300 codes a lot and i mean a lot like you erase the code and 2 drive cycles later it comes back it can be ur opti BUT so you guys know first check for 02 sensors many people have replaced optis and hadnt been...just disconnect ur o2 sensors and erase codes and drive it...see what happens should run better if it does replace the sensor....if NOT then your opti can and probably is the culprit...it will misfire a lot thru out rpm range....you can also just do a break tq in gear and see and/or feel the misfire....let us know what you got!!!!!!!!
Old 11-29-2008, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

Save yourself the trouble and take it to a good performance shop, not a quicklube or some ****. Have them take a look at it. Thats what I did when my car was acting up. Misfires and all, I replaced stuff that probably didn't need it. The shop will use a voltmeter thing and test all the connections to the opti which is a surefire way to know. It only cost me $90.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the vlot meter will tell you if your pickup is going bad!! if its your pickup just get a new opti...the msd pickups do go out more often than delco!!

to check the spark pull the number 1 plug wire off and get another plug and put it on the end of the wire and crank your motor....check for erradic spark...if its erradic than your opti is going bad....should be crank spark, crank spark, crank spark not crank, crank spark, crank, crank...if it does that than its goin bad...

could also be your coil
Old 11-30-2008, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also on that code a bad opti doesnt always throw a code either....just letting you know

Quick Reply: Best way to ckeck opti while on engine?