LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

misfire at high rpms?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 11:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Green3spd
My car had been acting up last few day doing the same high rpm studdering... Then wouldnt start again this morning.. I think it was my ICM pigtail... I unplugged it and tried to bend the prongs in the pigtail and re-installed it and it started right up!

AND

the sputtering is gone.... FOR NOW.. Ill keep you all updated..

I'll give my ICM pigtail a once over too while I'm tracking down the miss. Thanks
Old 12-06-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

many good points provided, "high rpm miss" can be a variety of things. My case was Opti.

valve springs not holding up will cause the care to 'nose over" aka just stop making power above a RPM. "Ignition" related, aka miss than pick-up then miss in a intermittant fashion would point to ignition componets.

FP gauge, scan tool and very close attention to connectors and vacum lines is the only way to track issue down without blindly throwing parts at it.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

This is true
A dirty injecotors or injectors
a fuel pump going south
vacuum leaks
bad electrical components
And the list goes on and on
Old 12-06-2008, 01:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Good point I had a failed injector show up in a similar manner as the OP is describing, was a long time ago and I forgot about that.

Far as LT1 Edit and Datamaster. LT1 Edit is a poor choice, Tunercat is better from every aspect as well as no VIN locked and half the price. The nont VIN locked is nice because you should always have a spare PCM or two because they can get messed up andLT1 Edit only working on one pcm could leave you without a car till you paid for another VIN.
Datamaster is just data logging, but is a very nice complete program.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Problem solved

I'm still in disbelief. I checked all vacuum lines and found all to be optimal. Started it up and heard a "hissing" sound and the idling was fluxuating more than usual. Shut it off started pulling it down and found the elbow had been reinstalled improperly. The bottom was folded in allowing air to sucked in causing a leak. I installed it properly and road tested it and it pulled all the way to 6K with no problem. I'm so stoked. I got off easy. Didn't cost anything and that's very rare. Long live the LT1!

Thanks to all who offered help and advice.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Silly little things like that are easy to have happen. Thank you for sharing the resolution.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Silly little things like that are easy to have happen. Thank you for sharing the resolution.
Ya.. people tend to solve their problems and never come back to tell...

Ive even been guilty of it... lol

Quick Reply: misfire at high rpms?