LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need some help with current set-up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 06:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help with current set-up?

Ive done a tone of stuff to my motor this past year and have read many others forum posts But im still kinda novice to getting the numbers I want. Im trying to get to the magic # of 425 to 450 RWHP and equal TQ without go-go juice.

Motor Mods done this year

Pacesetter LT's
BBK 52 TB
Lunati Lifters
918 Beehives
Magnum Pushrods
Exteme heavy Duty timing chain kit
CC306 cam
CC 1.6/1.5 Full rollers
Accel Opti and coil
A/C delete pulley (Complete a/c removed)
TB bypass
MSD 8.5 wires
Miezere Electric WP
Moroso CAI
EGR and Air pump Delete
160 thermostat
DynoTUNED
Motive perfomance 3.73 10 bolt M6

^this doesnt include the suspension mods done this year.
Im still running stock heads and bottom end and with these mods I dynoed 338RWHP on a mustang dyno. Now I dont understand the numbers game to well but my tuner mentioned around 420 at the crank is what im actually putting out. They also stated I was on the ragged edge with my 28lb injectors at top end and recommend I get 36lb.

This brings me to my questions.

What kinda of HP and TQ should I be getting with all this? (Mustang dyno vs Dynojet vs actual real numbers?) Also wasnt able to make it to the track
this past year so what kinda of et's should I expect to be getting also?

With the 306 cam Ive found through research that u have to whine the motor up 6500 to 6700 to get full potention which seems to high for stock bottom end. Knowing this; How or what mods can I do to allow me to get full potential out of this cam at a lower RPM range lets say 4000 to 5500 range?

Sorry for being so winded just wanted all the info out on the table.

Thanx in advance for your input.
sean
Old 01-03-2009, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Problem #1...
Originally Posted by seanaugustus
Im still running stock heads and bottom end and with these mods I dynoed 338RWHP on a mustang dyno.
Get some flow for that cam.. Thats a hefty cam for the LT1.. Goin assume its an Auto car? That cam I believe is capable of 400+ RWHP with the right heads/intake.. givin you'll have to spin some more RPM..

Problem #2...
How or what mods can I do to allow me to get full potential out of this cam at a lower RPM range lets say 4000 to 5500 range?
If your tryin to be safe AT LEAST do 6200-6300.. Many people have success running stock bottom ends to these RPM's.. But like I said before, to get your 425 RWHP, your def goin have to spin some RPM!
Old 01-03-2009, 07:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Green3spd
Problem #1...

Get some flow for that cam.. Thats a hefty cam for the LT1.. Goin assume its an Auto car? That cam I believe is capable of 400+ RWHP with the right heads/intake.. givin you'll have to spin some more RPM..

Problem #2...

If your tryin to be safe AT LEAST do 6200-6300.. Many people have success running stock bottom ends to these RPM's.. But like I said before, to get your 425 RWHP, your def goin have to spin some RPM!
Reply to comment #1
its a 6speed with 3.73's

Reply to comment #2
My Rev Limiter has been adjusted to allow 6400 or 6700rpms. Cant remember exactly which one.

Any guess on how close I am to my goal with what I have done already?

thanks for the reply.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

My Rev Limiter has been adjusted to allow 6400 or 6700rpms. Cant remember exactly which one.

Any guess on how close I am to my goal with what I have done already?

thanks for the reply.
Better figure out what rev its set at.. lol..

Well if you dyno'd on a DynoJet.. You may be at 345-355rwhp...(correct me if Im wrong) Reguardless.. I think just porting your heads/intake you will be surpurised! That cam needs more flow.. There are people with smaller cams making the same or more HP than you... Bigger isnt always better UNLESS you back it up!
Old 01-04-2009, 05:30 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah its 6700, Ported heads and intake will help but im wondering if Im missing something other than that.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Since a few places started delivering 400+rwhp one of them reliably, everyondy has decided they can do it slapping some crap together from the Summit catalogue. It can be done, it is easy if you follow a PROVEN recipe. Which beings me to another point, most people don't know what proof is, a couple ignorant kids on the internet say it and the rest of them take it as proof.

You want a recipe to follow.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...s-429rwhp.html

You deviate and try and save $100 here or there, or think you know more about cams and try another one, you will very likely fail to hit the mark. The cam he is using is actually a little less duration than the 306 but is all round a better cam and will make more power.
When others tell you they can accomplish things ask for proof.

On a mustang dyno I don't think your 306 cam results are out of the ordinary, the cam just gets overhyped because it is big and people think bigger is better.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=96capricemgr;10778759]
You want a recipe to follow.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...s-429rwhp.html[QUOTE]

This is a perfect example! LT1 heads are Horrible.. I might be lookin in to the AI 200cc heads..
Old 01-05-2009, 05:09 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks guys for ur input.

Quick Reply: Need some help with current set-up?