LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Carb'd lt4

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 02:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb'd lt4

Hey guys quick question i know they have a carb manifold for lt1 heads, but the lt4 heads are a much better design and have slightly resized intake ports that make it where you have to get an lt4 manifold, so i was wondering if the lt1 style carb manifold will fit lt4 heads. I doubt it but i cant find lt4 specific carb manifolds.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemby207
Hey guys quick question i know they have a carb manifold for lt1 heads, but the lt4 heads are a much better design and have slightly resized intake ports that make it where you have to get an lt4 manifold, so i was wondering if the lt1 style carb manifold will fit lt4 heads. I doubt it but i cant find lt4 specific carb manifolds.

GM did actually make one for a while. I have one at home. I am working in Vermont this week, but will get you the part number when I get home later this week.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The LT4 heads are a much BIGGER design and that does NOT make tham better.

I am fairly sure GMPP sells a LT4 carbed dual plane intake just like they do the LT1 one.

Thing is at least with the injected manifolds GM did not bother to redesign the actual ports in the intake, they just added material above them to seal to the taller port in the heads. If they did not bother to make the actual production car intake right I highly doubt when they had Edelbrock make the carbed one they would have paid extra to update the manifold ports.

The LT4 might be an actual good choice if going to say 7500rpms but the available dual plane carbed intakes to fit the LT1/LT4 heads are not going to support the rpms necessary to make the LT4 heads actually work well.

Point being skip the LT4 heads and if you really want to carb a LT1 either keep the rpms down where the dual plane GMPP will work or convert something.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
The LT4 heads are a much BIGGER design and that does NOT make tham better.
Stock LT4 heads will out perform stock LT1 heads all day long.

The LT4 might be an actual good choice if going to say 7500rpms but the available dual plane carbed intakes to fit the LT1/LT4 heads are not going to support the rpms necessary to make the LT4 heads actually work well.
Actually the dual plane will only be a few HP off an open plenum at 7500 rpm.

Quick Reply: Carb'd lt4