LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Failed Emissions...Again

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djjab57
Hey leave those cut outs closed, i cant handle much more of the heat here in Texas lol
DITTO. and its more humid here in south texas. but at least i dont have to put up with snow!!!!!!!!
Old 03-27-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NebWS6
I find it funny that you have to go thru some stupid hoops(like driving your car around to "warm up") for it to pass emmissions. They should really change the way or what they test for.... makes me glad I live in a non emission state....

Although I have been thinking about moving to Texas....
in Texas it is not in every county, only the big ones
Old 03-27-2009, 05:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by azmarkus
I just love living in Arizona. On any given day you can see numerous rattletraps with Sonora or Chihuahua Mexico license plates belching smoke, yet, I live here and I go through grief trying to get my car to pass emissions. C'est la vie... Markus plays by the rules, so be it.

It failed the first time, took it to the mechanic and he said the cat was bad; no problem, new cat, and back we go. This time it passed everything but failed the NOX by .07. A couple of things on the retest: their equipment needed 'recalibrating' so the car had to sit there, shut off, for about 15 minutes. I believe that having a car fully warmed up will test better, I wonder if that did it or, I noticed my air filter cone (K&N) had (again) fallen off.

Any advice or helpful suggestions is appreciated.

Additional cliff's notes: car is a 94 Z28 M6, no SES, the only mods are a CAI, TB bypass and an aftermarket exhaust, 128K; I was running mid-grade fuel, not premium, right before the test I took a 20-mile jaunt on the freeway to get the car good and warmed up.
Originally Posted by HoLLo
Did you ever replace your O2 sensors?
No, I sure didn't, that would've been the next step. By having the cat and EGR replaced I passed the $ threshold required to obtain a waiver, so I haven't looked into it further.

Last edited by azmarkus; 03-27-2009 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 03-27-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djjab57
Hey leave those cut outs closed, i cant handle much more of the heat here in Texas lol
Im only an hour away from you and i know what you mean. The heat is really bad down here during the summer. Its already in the mid 80's
Old 03-27-2009, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in southeast Texas and i have never had to have my car tested. I guess that is the reason why i dont have any emissions at all on my car.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by azmarkus
No, I sure didn't, that would've been the next step. By having the cat and EGR replaced I passed the $ threshold required to obtain a waiver, so I haven't looked into it further.
What does your "aftermarket exhaust" consist of? The EGR requires back pressure to function. I had this problem with E-testing and longtube headers. The O2's would not affect the Nox much unless it was running super lean but they usually have slow response when the get old and cause a rich condition.

High combustion chamber temps, lean fuel mixture, too high of ignition timing are causes of high Nox
Old 03-28-2009, 01:58 AM
Rockstar

Down here in Louisiana we say **** emissions. Global warming is great!

Quick Reply: Failed Emissions...Again