LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cracked block ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 12:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked block ?

Ok well....... The car has 11miles and about an hour of run time on it. I noticed that there was some build up in the radiator. Some really thick stuff sitting at the top. I flushed the whole thing out the other night. Check the oil and it's really thin. pull the oil cap and it's white underneath. Start the car and watch the oil in the head and it looks like a chocolate milk color. It doesn't smoke while running so this leads me to believe that I have a crack in the block. If it was the head gasket or a crack in one of the heads it would be smoking wouldn't it?

It's a lt1 from a 95 Impala ss w/iron heads. Were the iron heads prone to cracking or gaskets going out?

Going to drain the oil tomorrow and find out. Anything else I can check? The yard I bought the engine from did a compression check on all the cylinders before I bought it and said everything was fine.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 8595transam
Ok well....... The car has 11miles and about an hour of run time on it. I noticed that there was some build up in the radiator. Some really thick stuff sitting at the top. I flushed the whole thing out the other night. Check the oil and it's really thin. pull the oil cap and it's white underneath. Start the car and watch the oil in the head and it looks like a chocolate milk color. It doesn't smoke while running so this leads me to believe that I have a crack in the block. If it was the head gasket or a crack in one of the heads it would be smoking wouldn't it?

It's a lt1 from a 95 Impala ss w/iron heads. Were the iron heads prone to cracking or gaskets going out?

Going to drain the oil tomorrow and find out. Anything else I can check? The yard I bought the engine from did a compression check on all the cylinders before I bought it and said everything was fine.
I don't think that the iron heads are any more prone to cracks and leaks than the aluminum heads. I wouldn't run it at all with chocolaty oil. You'll thrash your bearings.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:01 AM
On The Tree

I haven't started it since I noticed the condition.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:06 AM
On The Tree

I bet head gasket almost 100% sure. My oil looked like chocolate milk when my head gasket went and also had oil in my radiator took hours to flush that crap out of the cooling system
Old 02-16-2009, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

I hope that's all it is.