LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Thinking about Moving to an LS1 in the Formula...(Merv Please Read)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 04:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about Moving to an LS1 in the Formula...(Merv Please Read)

So after 3 months I still have no motor. As I have been told by Chris (The Gentleman building my motor since I figured this would be quicker and safer considering what happened to the last motor even though I did not build it... I did not want some stupid mistake to cost me everything) he and another gentleman built my 355 bottom end to my specs, did some extra small work and then John got very sick and has been in the hospital for weeks now.

Chris can not get the block out, he returned the car, stock bottom end and lt4 heads and everything he had which was basically everything thats stock and gave me a few options.

He would pay me 1000.00 (I gave him 820.00 to start this and owed him another 200 or so upon delivery) and i could start over.... or he would keep trying to get the bottom end, finish cleaning up my heads and install the new valve springs, put them on and put it back in.

Now I would love to have my LT355 up and going. I was REALLY looking forward to my build. (I can detail the specs if wanted)

But in light of this I started thinking... I don't know how long this could take and I was supposed to have this car back 45 day ago. I could sell all my remaining items (LT4 Ported Heads (Less then 2300 miles), T56 (98k), MSD Opti (Brand New Straight from MSD), LT1 Vette Fuel Rail Covers, LT1 Pacesetter long tubes (Less then 900 Miles), LT4 Intake Manifold, BBK 52MM TB that was ported to idle correctly, T-Tops (I have a hard top not going to convert), LT4 Knock Sensor, LT1 Block (Probably for like 100 had less then 2300 miles but the rings were washed out not bored over) and my LS1 Complete Brake Conversion) and have a nice chunk of change.

My LS1 w/ Brand new clutch and flywheel (Upgraded from stock have to check again what they are) and T56 Tranny would be 1200 with everything I need. (I also have a spare 98 ECU, Coil packs and an LS1 Drive Shaft I can sell too I just remembered).

So with everything I make from selling what I have plus the 1000 from Chris I would have enough to make a decent LS1. I have some headers locally, I can make my current exhaust match up to them I am sure. (If not he has the Y-Pipe too)

I think I could put on an LS6 Intake Manifold, Bigger TB, LS6 Heads and Better Springs, Mildly Big Cam and some better push rods then tune her and be well within the money I would have to play with. I might even get to pick up a few extra's here and there.

But honestly I am not sure I could expect well over 400 at the wheels which is probably where I was at with my 355 anyway... but this will also not be a fresh motor like the 355 would have been... it has 80k on it.

I have no idea what to think... both options seem reasonable but one could take a long time and one seems to be more popular... I refuse to get rid of my current body I like my Formula. I just need to know whats going on and well... thats not happening so I have to make a choice. I either try to build my 355 else where for 1000 or I go the LS1 route and cash in on some of my hording and parts I have and a really good deal on an lS1 and T56 Complete.

What do you guys think?

Merv how hard is this, I have been meaning to PM you but maybe this is easier. I know you converted what all should I pick up? I was thinking about grabbing an LS1 rear end too but I get the whole front K-Member with the motor, everything to just swap over.

This is whats going through my mind right now...

Last edited by Cross; 02-18-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The conversion is not difficult, as long as you do your research and have a nice wiring diagram. You could easily see 400 rwhp with a cam-only LS1, all depends on your cam choices. Honestly I think you would be happy either way, just depends on your choice. I would prefer the LT1, but their is nothing worse then waiting when you have no idea how long.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:58 PM
12 Second Club

This would be the LT355 I would be waiting on:
LT355 Build:
11.1:1 Compression Pistons
.028 Impala Head Gaskets (Boosting Compression to 11.6:1)
227/233 112LSA Comp XE Cam
LT4 Heads Ported
LT4 Intake Manifold Ported
Stud Kit
PaceSetter Headers with 3" Off Road Custom Built Y-Pipe, Cut out and Hooker Muffler
Custom LS1 Lid Ram Air Intake
BBK 52MM Throttle Body Modified for correct Idle
MSD Opti and Coil
MadTuner Tuned ECU and LT4 Knock Module
AIR & EGR Removed as well as a few Free Mods
160 Deg Thermostat
Old 02-18-2009, 04:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cross
This would be the LT355 I would be waiting on:
LT355 Build:
11.1:1 Compression Pistons
.028 Impala Head Gaskets (Boosting Compression to 11.6:1)
227/233 112LSA Comp XE Cam
LT4 Heads Ported
LT4 Intake Manifold Ported
Stud Kit
PaceSetter Headers with 3" Off Road Custom Built Y-Pipe, Cut out and Hooker Muffler
Custom LS1 Lid Ram Air Intake
BBK 52MM Throttle Body Modified for correct Idle
MSD Opti and Coil
MadTuner Tuned ECU and LT4 Knock Module
AIR & EGR Removed as well as a few Free Mods
160 Deg Thermostat
You just have to ask yourself if you can wait. Why not just have someone else finish building it?
Old 02-18-2009, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

IMO, after all of the number-crunching and parts-swapping you're going to do, you'll probably wish you kept the LT1.

I say keep the LT1 and let someone finish it for you. You already have the parts and tuning, so don't be lazy and look for the easy way out, and just get it finished.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:19 PM
12 Second Club

Thats just it I DONT have any of the parts. This gentleman John who is possibly dying has all of it. If I could get ahold of it I would put the heads on and finish everything myself, I am sure I could get that much done and the heads cleaned up.

At this point I have no idea when I would even get my bottom end.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thats just it I DONT have any of the parts. This gentleman John who is possibly dying has all of it. If I could get ahold of it I would put the heads on and finish everything myself, I am sure I could get that much done and the heads cleaned up.

At this point I have no idea when I would even get my bottom end.
So you don't know where he lives? I mean I feel sorry for the guy, but that wouldn't stop me from going over there and picking my stuff up.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:23 PM
12 Second Club

Chris does he went by and no one was there.

Trust me thats the first thing on my mind just go pick it up... but its not like I can just break in and do so. I wish I could I would have this damn thing running by no later then next weekend.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Dude...they're your parts. If you wanted them bad enough you'd figure out how to get them out.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:04 PM
12 Second Club

If a guy is in the hospital theres not much I can do legally. Esp if there is no one else at the house.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:57 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you want an LS1, get the car running as cheap as possible. Sell it and go find an LS1 F-car. They have gotten dirt cheap.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:41 AM
12 Second Club

As I said, I do not like the LS1 Body Style. I love my Formula's look. I would rather have this body then most others.

I also can not afford a Firehawk thats for sure lol.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

If a guy is in the hospital theres not much I can do legally. Esp if there is no one else at the house.
Not true. Just talk to the police and explain the situation. They will get you in contact with a relative, issue a court order, and approve for you to get your stuff back. Even though the guy is in the hospital with your stuff on his property, if you don't get it back it can be considered theft.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:54 AM
Staging Lane

Have you talked to the guy? Most patients in most hospitals can have visitors and you usually don't need prior permission. Take a box of chocolates (check w/nurse before you leave it) and a couple Chevy magazines with you and ask him nicely.

Best -- Gary

Last edited by Z48LT-1; 02-19-2009 at 05:56 AM. Reason: added parenthetical remark
Old 02-19-2009, 08:04 AM
12 Second Club

I don't know the guy Chris does they are friends.

I will look into it though but I really do not want something long and drawn out. Let me see what happens today.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

Now it sounds like Chris isn't doing right by you. Get him in a hammer lock and promise him the two Franklins you owe him, give him the box of chocolates to carry, you carry the Chevy mags, and go see John. John must have someone looking after his home and stuff whom he could tell to give you permission to remove your block. I'm sure that whoever's going to deal with all those motor parts John's got lying around would rather give them to their rightful owners than try to dispose of them otherwise.

I just wouldn't give up on what's allegedly been done already.

Cheers -- Gary
Old 02-19-2009, 08:24 PM
12 Second Club

To be 100% honest I think Chris was confused by the LTx Build since I have been asking for this guy John's number for some time. I did find out he is supposedly at UMC but without a last name or even Letter to go by its a shot in the dark... go see all the johns asking "Did you just build a 355 LTx?" lol
Old 02-20-2009, 02:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with posts above. Get your friend to take you to meet the engine guy in the hospital. Pay your respects and tell him you realize he has higher priorites than your engine right now so you would like your stuff back. Surely he has someone getting his mail and watching his house who can help once you get permission from him. He might even have family at the hospital who can help out. I don't know your friend but it seems odd to me that he's playing middle man on you. If I were in his place I'd introduce everyone and take myself out of the loop! Anyway I'd just finish what you started, besides if you can't get your stuff back to finish it how can you sell it!?

Good Luck!
Old 02-20-2009, 07:38 AM
12 Second Club

I don't want to sell the car I want to sell the parts I have now. If I did that.