LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Spring Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring Installation

Hey fellow Motorheads, I have a quick question for you guys! What is the best way to install the aftermarket valve springs while the heads are still on the car? In the past we have either removed the heads to install the springs or left the heads on and used a fitting to pressurize the chamber to keep the valves up during spring replacement. Anyone have a better/easier idea to do this?! I have also heard of some people bringing the piston to the top and just dropping the valves onto them (I've never tried that though). Any input would help! Thanks!
Old 03-06-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 20park20
Hey fellow Motorheads, I have a quick question for you guys! What is the best way to install the aftermarket valve springs while the heads are still on the car? In the past we have either removed the heads to install the springs or left the heads on and used a fitting to pressurize the chamber to keep the valves up during spring replacement. Anyone have a better/easier idea to do this?! I have also heard of some people bringing the piston to the top and just dropping the valves onto them (I've never tried that though). Any input would help! Thanks!
I did the piston at TDC method. Two pistons will be at TDC at a time, so you do four springs at a time, then rotate the crank.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

this tool made it VERY easy

Crane # 99473-1

bring # 1 cyl tdc and then do 2 cyl at a time in this order by rotateing crank 90 degrees each step

1 & 6
5 & 8
7 & 4
3 & 2

The valve will drop abour 1/4-1/2 " max with piston up on cylinders.

good idea to swap valve seals while you are doing this

another tool cheaper is KB but that Crane makes it a cake walk.

Quick Reply: Spring Installation